Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:14:18 -0500
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: What s inside the oil breather tower???
Comments: To: Dave C <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM>

Part true, but there is more too it. It contains a rubber flapper valve that is spring loaded. It is intended to be a one way breather. I have personally dissected five of them, and found four out of five with a large hole in the flapper. It is a non serviceable part. In other words, when you go to VW and look it up on the fish, you will see just the tower and no insides. The replacement part is the entire tower. Its not cheep either.

How I disassembled them is removing the round cover piece on top, but I have had only one come apart without cracking the tower, and with the spring pushing against this cover its not likely that it can be refastened securely, so don't take it apart unless you have a NEW one. I don't recommend getting one from the yard.

With the odds of four out of five with holes in them there is plenty of us that have this problem. The brake down in my opinion is time and the elements it is surrounded by ( gas, oil). I would think oil consumption would be the result of this parts malfunction, not crankcase pressure because it vents into the intake.

Rob