Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:45:16 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter Saga was: 1982 Diesel Intermittent Start Problem
Comments: To: kdlewis@juno.com

Ken, The starter bushing would be a great idea, except that the diesel Vanagon is different. The bushing is located in the nosecone of the starter and replaced each starter cycle. As for the battery size, in the dim past (around 1984), I discovered all the open space around the diesel Vanagon battery case. This discovery coincided with unscheduled preventative maintenance of the battery (translate - replace). At that time I found that the very largest of the GM side terminal batteries would mount in the space. Following and intensive search, I found that Montgomery Wards sold a lifetime battery as their top of the line Group 72 product. Little did they know! So I purchased the battery after demonstrating that fully 0.250 inches remained between the top of the battery and the engine cover. Over the years, I have comfortably followed the evolution of battery technology with one ridiculous lifetime claim after another. Around 1995 the Wards local manager produced an official looking document that said that with my next replacement (mean time to battery failure was 2.2 years) my lifetime had been used up, and I would have to revert to a regular battery warranty. I still treasure this document as it was quite personal, listed the number of replacements, pointed out how much money they had lost and suggested that my prolonged ownership was decidedly un-American! (These lifetime warranties are always limited to the original vehicle and the original purchaser).

Anyway, I promptly signed up for an 84-month battery and drove away. Every several years, I get the opportunity to upgrade the battery to the highest CCA rating battery sold by Exide. So I can't put anything bigger in the space. I do run an auxiliary battery (behind the diesel battery and behind the taillight assembly. For a while I was also running group 72's here until the battery top change in which they added top posts to the style. Needless to say this battery would take a dive after every extended camping trip. Like clockwork, I just folded auxiliary battery replacement into my spring maintenance schedule. Of course, this was unfair, as I was running this one in a deep cycle mode (radio, fridge, CB, lights, laptop, etc). Smoked a few VW camper relays as you might expect. Of course, when I read (so carefully) the Wards battery warranty, I noted no disclaimer for such misuse. Actually, I have recently found that when I approach the local Wards auto center, the manager comes out and asks me to take my business elsewhere (sad, sad)!

Anyway, I was giving an Exide battery rep a hard time at the LA Auto show some years back, and he pointed out that Exide had a gel cell battery for marine use. Excitedly, I returned home, got out my CAD drawings of the auxiliary battery space and discovered that they had a real whopper that would fit if I laid it on its side (top terminals pointing to the taillight). A little solder, wire, marine relay, modest cutting, and a modified alternator (8V GTi front pulley, Porsche 944 guts and all the diodes the alternator shop had) now rated at 140 amps, and I was set. I added an adjustable voltage regulator to the alternator and then carefully adjusted full load output to the max that the gel cell could accommodate less a few tenths (think I set it at 13.96 V).

So, no further loss of the auxiliary battery - 3 years and counting. I will consider the dual battery setup. Used to use that on a corvair powered '72 Safare Camper I built.

I'm sure that the starters are being burnt. This suggests a low voltage high current situation. Could be a long standing ground problem. Unfortunately, after the initial failure, I believe a segment on the stator is damaged and the only solution is replacement.

Typical battery failure is due to loss of water. Runs too hot in the engine compartment. Often starter failure is correlated with battery failure but not always. Have since built a thermal shield for the battery and am into 14 months on this battery with no problem, or low water condition.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Frank Grunthaner