Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Apr 2000 15:59:11 -0400
From:         Gina <GG811@SENTRYMICRO.COM>
Subject:      No stalling @ idle/low rpms

I have been watching the numerous emails pertaining to stalling out at low rpms and redlights. This has been one of the ghosts that was following me since I got my 85GL. Although I am mechanically inclined and manage to take care of most of my own maintenance and repairs, I dont feel that I have enough experience with it to voice too many opinions here on the list. But this one is just too simple and valuable to keep to myself - even if it helps but one person.

Check the angled connecting boot (appx 3'' diameter) between the AFM and throttle body. It's easy enough to get off - attaches with 2 clips. Take it off, flex it and inspect it thoroughly for cracks of any kind, big or small. If you find any, seal them up (i used silicone) and allow it to cure thoroughly before reinstalling and starting the engine. Done - one less ghost.

Hope this helps.

BTW with all the help i obtained from you fine volks, i was able to take a completely problem free 1000 mile trip last weekend (and it rained too!)...ahhh much awaited dependability at last. And after replacing all those vaccuum lines and injector seals, it boosted to 19city/25hwy mpg...yippeee

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Regards, Gina 85 Vanagon GL 120,783 miles