Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:23:52 -0400
From:         "Cooper, Jonathan R." <cooper@BQMLAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: WARNING: VW Lawyers are on the loose again!
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

Hey, HEY, watch it big boy. I am a proud owner of my 85 westy daily driver, and I love this list. I am also a lawyer who does some trademark litigation. I can understand that VW needs to protect its marks. If they are not protected, they may be usurped by someone allot less honest or scrupulous than you. The ideal answer would be that VW would give out licenses to those who want to use its marks for the propagation of all things good. But imagine how hard it would be to strain out the good from the bad from their point of view. Sometimes we on this list have trouble too. But for anyone who has a cause like yours, maybe a license would be a good proposal; see if they will at least talk about it. You may be able to assure them or the agreement may have sufficient protection. Just a thought... By the way, as we learned in the OJ trial, some of us know about gloves, so cold won't stop us.

Jonathan R. Cooper Brzytwa, Quick & McCrystal 900 Skylight Office Tower Cleveland, OH 44113 Cooper@BQMlaw.com

85 Westy 90 Cabriolet -----Original Message----- From: David Marshall [mailto:vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG] Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 12:49 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: WARNING: VW Lawyers are on the loose again!

Warning! The Volkswagen lawyers are on the loose.

I don't really want to get too much in to the contents of the conversation that I had yesterday with the Volkswagen layer that contacted me, but things don't look good for the enthusiasts' pages that are out there.

The fellow was quite understanding in my non-profit stance of VOLKSWAGEN.ORG but he said that they are going after all people with domain names with a Volkswagen trademark in them.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have had a similar experience this week or in the last few months... this is also a heads up if you telephone hasn't rang yet!

Q: why is it best to deal with a lawyer when it is cold outside?

A: when it is cold, their hands will be in their own pockets!

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --