Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:13:13 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      The Waveform is Different. Was: Extra Grounds on 1.9l
Comments: To: stuart@cobaltgroup.com

Interested Parties.

Surprising result. While I can't directly comment on the 1.9 L Waterboxer as I run a 1.8L 8V GTi Digifant in line 4, I recently discovered something I had not anticipated. I had always assumed that the key ground issue was contact to met. As in not a contact through an insulating substance (oxides, crud, crude oil, kerrogens, plastic, the ether, etc.). Wrong. For the electronic fuel injection systems, the details of the resistive path are very important. Stereo (big thumper) system installers are well versed in a series of superstitious problems related to ground loops. I say superstitious because they are not analytically resolved but rather empirically treated with warnings and a recipe for the correct way. The aluminum block/head systems we work with have many surface elastomers (lubricants, anti-seize, etc.) and thin film insulators (oxides, see above) in the series path to the battery or computer. Also, the engine components are actually cast of mechanical grade alloys (not electrical grade conductors). The actual resistance across the block from connector to connector (or to the ground strap) can range from a few tenths of an ohm to 3 ohms or even more.

The surprising result is the major effect on the fuel injector trigger pulse waveform. I haven't quantified this yet, but I have wired in taps to follow the trigger (on/off) pulse waveform, the ignition coil pulse waveform (think rpm and tach), the spark pulse and the O2 sensor response. Without a data logger, I can't follow all four signals simultaneously, but I can do two at a time. I'm setting up for real time road test the weekend after I do the taxes to get true load waveforms (no dyno). And I data set is modest (related to the fact that I can only rev the engine for extended periods if she-who-must-be-obeyed is away from her post. Something about neighbors who can't appreciate the sweet sound of a well-tuned engine).

Anyway, when I did my conversion (many years ago, diesel to gas). I placed the ground wire from the Digifant system that is supposed to go to the head to the body instead. Ground is ground I said! Well, triggered by recent posts by Ken Lewis over my starter saga, I rigged up a switched system to go back and forth (ignition off!) between the body ground and the head ground. I saw on the oscilloscope (250 MHz bandwidth) an amazing change in the fuel injector waveform, and in the O2 sensor waveform. The fuel injector pulses were shorter and sharper (faster rise and fall times) and the same was observed for the O2 signal. The integrated or mean voltage of the O2 signal was also different by 0.072 volts indicating a leaner running condition.

It appears that even though the currents are modest the issue is at least an RC circuit filter modifying the input to the computer. I also find that the computer outputs are considerably cleaner (less high frequency noise) which suggest a possible ground loop problem with which the Digifant computer is trying to cope.

Summary, more ground wire is good. Heavy ground wire is better. My friendly local electronic goodie store (FLEGS?) sells AWG 1, 2, and 4 insulated wire with solderable connectors for minimal amounts of negotiable securities. I now have the Digifant head ground wire in the Bentley mandated location. I have run an AWG #2 wire (GM side terminal 42 inch ground strap from the accessible (not clutch slave) starter mounting bolt to the battery, an AWG #2 wire from the AC mount (traditional I-4 ground point) to the battery, same wire gauge from the coil/head mount, and from the transmission to the body. May soon have to adjust the rear tire pressures to compensate for excess copper.

I will try to post waveform images after I clean everything up if there is a image-web-site-poster-hoster available.

Sorry for the length, but I think this has big MPG and Digifant/Digijet gremlin implications for stock systems as well as engine swaps.

Hope this helps someone,

Frank Grunthaner