Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:56:39 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Custom Cat Heaters
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>

For a radiant heater like the Plat Cat, I think the best location is either right behind the passenger seat.. mounted on the aft side of the starter battery compartment or between the seats.. (Harald used to have some good photos of his installation behind the passenger seat, but they don't seem to be at the old web address any more.)

These locations point the heat to where you will likely be.. on the rear bench seat.

Problem with behind the passenger seat is makes it so the passenger seat cannot be used facing aft.

So I was thinking of the stock 6,000 BTU Plat Cat (or slightly modified dimensions) with an attachment such that it could be mounted to the front table mount tube....

Propane and electric are close by under the sink. This cold be a portable set up like Steve X's. You could plug it into the front table tube, plug in the electric (thermostat & fan), plug in the propane, and run the exhaust tube out one of the front windows. The mount could possibly be designed such that it rotated on or in the front table mount like a gate for access to the two front seats. Or, more elaborately, the exhaust tube could plug into or go down through the front seat mounting tube and out the floor of the van.

This location would allow the use of the passenger seat facing aft.

For those who insist on using the front table perhaps the mount for the Plat Cat could just clamp to the front table leg or the outside of the front table mount tube.

Okay, let's have some feed back and get this thing designed!

Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Steven X. Schwenk <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Friday, April 14, 2000 8:58 AM Subject: Custom Cat Heaters