Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 2000 23:16:45 EDT
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Power Cord

> Date: 04/13/2000 7:35:26 PM Central Daylight Time > From: dbeierl@IBM.NET (David Beierl) > > At 19:27 4/13/2000, Davidson wrote: > >The fridge draws about 8 amps... the cabin light probably 2 amps... add > >the amps of what ever else you want to run (the stock radio connection is > >off the starter battery unless you change it)... total and then go look > >for your power cord. > > I think you had a brain hiccup, Bill -- I know that you know that the > fridge draws 8 amps at 12 volts, less than one amp at 110. > > The Westy circuit breaker is rated 15 amps -- the cord you get should also > be rated at least 15 amps.

Also, the cabin light doesn't run on 110. Unless you've rewired the van, it only runs off the battery. So, the only 110V thing "built in" to the van is the fridge, at 0.7 amp.

As Bill said, you just add up the amperages of whatever you might plug in (plus the 0.7 for the fridge) to find out what your total current draw on the cord is going to be. As David pointed out, the circuit breaker is 15 amps, so you'll never be able to have more current than that anyway (long term), no matter how heavy your cord is; and for safety, the cord shouldn't be rated less than the breaker - otherwise, if some sort of electrical accident occurs, the poor cord will give its life to protect the breaker (by melting or worse), instead of the other way around.

So, a 15 amp cord is about right, or maybe a bit higher if you like an extra margin of safety. That means a typical outdoor extension cord is fine if it's not going to be physically abused too much.

To get a sense of what 15 amps will run: a standard house circuit breaker is typically 15 or 20 amps, and that will comfortably run about a one- or two-room circuit - say, a few lamps, a TV set, a VCR, and a stereo. For those who might have forgotten, watts = amps x volts, so a 100 watt light bulb at 110 volts draws 0.9 amps.

> Date: 04/13/2000 6:17:12 PM Central Daylight Time > From: vince_pappalardo@HP.COM (Vince P.) > > I use a standard heavy duty outdoor power cord like are used on > construction > sites (You can find them at any building supply store). I got one made by a > company called Yellow Jacket that has the end that you would plug into your > Westy light up...

I also use the Yellow Jacket, and what I like best about it is that it's very flexible (much more so than most outdoor cords), and it rolls up very small. I keep two 25-foot cords in that tiny little cubby above the linen closet that's reached through the tailgate. (And my daughter thinks the plug light is pretty cool - a definite plus.)

-Steven Sittser