Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:48:30 EDT
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy fridge vent cap [what is it??]
Comments: To: tobin.copley@ubc.ca

> Date: 04/18/2000 4:04:36 PM Central Daylight Time > From: tobin.copley@UBC.CA (Tobin Copley) > > At 12:25 PM -0700 4/18/00, Gerald Masar wrote: > >Cover the plastic vent cover... > > OK, I give! Just what is this plastic vent cover? I just can't > picture it. Is this something that fits over the round metal vent on > the driver's side just below the middle side window?

Yes. Meant to be used to keep water out of the vent when washing the van, driving across lake bottoms, etc. The rest of the time, it's intended to be stored; more commonly, it's lost. It looks vaguely like an old butter tub or coffee can lid, and is made of the same kind of plastic, which probably contributes to the high loss ratio - it says "you forgot to throw me away when you finished the butter" rather than "I am a high-tech refrigeration accessory".

Fortunately, it's easily replaced with an appropriately-sized (possibly cut-to-size) old butter tub or similar container that you really did forget to throw away. (I did this for a while, and then one day in a fit of I-must-have-the-original-equipment fever I ordered the real thing.)

> Does anybody have a picture of one on the web somewhere so I can see > what one looks like and where it fits?

Go Westy, which sells them (as do Bus Depot and Euro American), has a picture at: http://www.gowesty.com/cgibin/webcart/webcart.cgi?CONFIG=mountain&ZOOMPAGE=YES &OCATS=80+thru+91+Refridgerator+Vent+Cover&ZN=TEXT&CODE=145

If that's too long an address, just go to www.gowesty.com, then choose "Go Shopping" and then "Refridgerator parts".

-Steven Sittser