Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:25:54 GMT
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Custom Cat Heaters

I've been thinking quite a bit about the idea of a heater for the van. My desirable criteria are -

Minimum 5-6000 btu Connect to built-in propane and power Vented Quiet operation Relatively inexpensive

I've used a portable catalytic, and am not excited about one long term unless it can be mounted securely. It's too easy to knock one over otherwise.

I like the idea of a thermostat, and I don't want one that takes up a lot of space. It would also be nice if any extra weight went on the passenger side.

My big question is whether or not you can make a catalytic heater that is wider than it is tall, because that gives you a lot more flexibility. Because they are radiant heaters, I'm assuming that their BTU output depends on the surface area of the unit.

Looking at the Thermal Systems web site, the 3000 btu 3P12 is 12" X 14" X 5 3/8" deep. The 6000 btu 6P12 is 21" high

Inside the Westy, it looks like there are four places where you could mount a heater that has to be taller than it is wide.

The side of the closet.

This can be recessed into the closet, but extra heat shielding has to be put on the ceiling, and it's awfully close to people sleeping back there. WarmerWagen thinks this is the way to go. Depending on vertical clearance, looks like there is about 20 X 20 ~ 400 sq in

Behind the passenger seat.

This limits you to about 12 1/2" high if you are going to turn the seat. If the heater is no more than 5" deep, it will not block the door at all. 12 x 12 ~ 144 sq in

On the refrigerator door.

Don't laugh yet. This is 12 1/2 X 22 if you leave room for access to the handle. I suspect that having to make the venthose and propane flexible would make it too expensive to do this, plus the weight of the heater might be more than the hinges are happy with, but the space is there. 12 X 20 ~ 240 sq in

On the sliding door.

This would have to be a very thin heater. By my measurements, there is only 1/2" between the door and the wheel well, and only about 1 1/2" available inside the door, unless you were able to curve the heater to match the outside sheet metal. I wouldn't be willing to have one here unless you could open the door quickly, so that means a flexible electrical and gas connection. Plus - would your paint like it if you slid the door open and put a hot heater right next to it? If the miracle were possible, and you didn't mind doing a lot of cutting inside the door, you could go maybe 18 X 18 ~ 324 sq in

If they can build heaters which are wider than they are tall, we have a lot more flexibility.

The space behind the passenger seat is 20 3/4 wide, and 12 1/2 high. That would allow a larger heater. 20 X 12 ~ 240 sq in

The face of the step down from the driver and passenger seats.

From the sliding door over to the cabinets is more than 42" and 3 3/4" tall. 3 X 40 ~ 120 sq in (This is probably the least obtrusive space)

The front face of the bench seat, on the passenger side.

This is 22" wide between the sliding door and the button to unlatch the seat, by 13 1/2" tall. I don't know how close you could go to the bottom of the seat when it's pulled out to make the bed. Assume 4" with a heat shield. 9 X 22 ~ 198 sq in

Between the driver and passenger seats, going down to the floor behind - something like this, if looked at from the side __________ | | ---> Front of van 9" high | _______| 5 1/2" high |__|

If this were designed to fit the space tightly, and not be too tall to step over, you could have a heater face about 8 X 17 ~ 136 sq in

You could even build a cup holder into it!

Before we go any farther, could Arnie tell us what can be done? How thick do they have to be? Can they be wider than they are tall? How many BTU's can you get out of a given surface area?

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID