Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:08:46 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Syncro "reserve" fuel capacity
Comments: To: bpchristensen1@HOME.COM

WARNING!!! Don't purposly run out of fuel, all sorts of nastys can happen (from experience) - all the dirt and sludge will get sucked thru the system, and your fuel pump shouldn't be run dry as it requires fuel going thru it to keep cool.

BTW - I run into the same "problem" with my Syncro. the most I have ever put into it has been a little over 55L.

At 10:44 PM 16/04/2000 -0700, Brent Christensen wrote: >I'm finally getting around to posting this, though it has always been a >mystery to me... > >(I'm working from memory here, so forgive me if I am a bit off) The owners >manual for my '89 Syncro Westy indicates a fuel tank capacity of 18.5 gals, >and a "reserve capacity" of 2.5 gals. > >I have *never* been able to put more than about 14.5 gals into it (and yes, >it does read full afterwards). On Friday, I let the needle get deep into >the "red" zone before I had a chance to fill up, and guess what? 15 gallons >was all it took! > >So my question is, when they say "2.5 gallon reserve capacity" are they >talking about a "hidden" 2.5 gallons that is still left even when the needle >shows dead-empty? > >I am going to drive around with a 2 gallon can of gas until I run out, >unless someone can help me unravel this mystery... > >Brent Christensen >'89 GL Syncro Westy >Santa Barbara, CA > >

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --