Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:10:14 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Aaaaargh!  Brake failure (long)

Well, I just returned from a ~500 mile round trip to visit family up north. (Just finished a white knuckle drive down the coast in pouring rain and 30-60 mph wind gusts - that was fun).

On our way up on Friday, we had to come down a relatively short (3 mile) grade which we have done before without any problems. Well, on Friday night, I damned near drove the Syncro, and all four of us right through the stop sign at the bottom of the grade and into a farm on the opposite side of the T intersection.

As some of you may recall, I just finished a *complete* brake job, including new rotors, semi-metallic pads, caliper rebuilds (thanks, Ron), drums, wheel cylinders (thanks, Ken), and a set of shoes from my local German FLAPS. The stopping power has felt better (more solid), though it has still required a preliminary pump of the pedal to achieve maximum firmness.

Anyway, we came over this no-big-deal grade, and I was braking on the way down to slow our progress (as you normally would) and I noticed that the brakes began to fade. By the time that I got to the bottom and was approaching the stop sign, I was pushing the brake so *#&* hard that I thought I was going to either pull the steering wheel off or put my foot through the floor. Scary with your wife, three year old daughter, and 2 month old son all on board.

Once I regained my pulse and breathing, I pulled across the intersection and pulled off the road. Sure enough, the fronts and rears were hot enough to sizzle spit (though the alloy wheels weren't that hot).

I got up this morning and pulled off all four corners and found that my nice brand new (beautifully crosshatched) rotors were now blue and mirror-like, and the pads and shoes were completely glazed. (well the shoes were glazed in a couple of spots, very unevenly - but uneven wear seems typical for Vanagon brake shoes, right?). Nothing seemed warped (by pedal feel), so I went ahead and hit the pads and shoes with 80 grit sandpaper to roughen them up, taking off about 0.5-1.0 mm of material.

We climbed three pretty good grades on the way home, and I have to tell you, it was pucker factor 9 coming down the back side of each one of them. In one case, I had to shift all the way down to 2nd so that I wouldn't have to use my brakes, since they would fade badly after about two or three good pulls.

So, my questions are these: #1 What the hell happened??? Are these damned Syncro brakes so wimpy? If so, why have I never had a problem before, despite trips through the Sierra and Cascade mountains? #2 How can I remedy the situation? I am at my wits' end and I can see NOTHING wrong with the way the brakes are put together. I mean, geezus, we're not talking fuel injection here, folks - these are good old-fashioned brakes! Shouldn't be that tough!!! I used all new German components (with the exception of the shoes and the drums (Italian).

On another note, in studying the Bentley this morning, I noticed a note about flipping a lever on the proportioning valve and removing a vacuum hose from the booster before bleeding the brakes. I never did either of these, but I have never heard them mentioned here on the list. Are these critical steps? Could that be what somehow caused my problems?

Any suggestions, comments, feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. I have to say that if I can't figure this out on my own, my only recourse will be to go to my mechanic with my tail between my legs, and say "fix it". And he will (rightfully so) say "I'll have to put in all new parts, since I can't be sure of the quality of the one's you used". Ugh!

Thanks in advance.

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA