Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:52:43 -0700
From:         Chris Radcliffe <chrisr@SLIP.NET>
Subject:      California resident, purchasing out of state van...

I recently smogged and registered a '90 Westy, in California. Originally Canadian, it had been registered in Colorado before I purchased it. It appears that the later models (at least) are "49 state" compliant: Somewhere on the vehicle there is a sticker or plate indicating some degree of compliance with US EPA regulations. A full CA-compliant one would say "This car meets USEPA and State of California regulations for emissions controls..." In either case, your vehicle will probably pass with respect to configured original equipment. My understanding is that virtually all Vanagons in later years were identical with respect to smog equipment.

See: http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/smogweb/Consumer/bringing.asp for out-of-state smogging specifics, and and http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehinfo/vehicles.htm for general CA registration info.

ChrisR

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:20:51 -0700 From: Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM> Subject: California resident, purchasing out of state van...

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------ABE66A09061F9D967E5C058B Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thanks for all the feedback so far on my questions about purchasing a water-cooled Westfalia. The answers have been most illuminating! I went and looked at a metallic blue '89 Automatic camper in my area being offered for $10K. It appeared to be all there, but it's general exterior condition was a little less than I was looking for (a whole lot of paint scratches that had been touched up with paint that doesn't quite match, etc.) Plus, it had 140K miles on it, and the exhaust and general amount of grime on the engine looked like it. I think I will pass on this one. But I have a question about purchasing a van from out of state. I live in California, and we have among the strictest smog regulations in the country. What do I need to comply with or do if I buy a Westfalia from out of state? I have seen many nice examples all over the country via various web classifieds, but I don't know what my responsibilities would be come vehicle registration here in CA. We used to have a one-time smog transfer fee of $300, but that has recently been repealed. Would my van have to comply with CA smog equipment requirements? Does anyone have experience with bringing out of state vehicles into California? Thanks again in advance!!! ...Dan