Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 2000 06:53:30 -0700
From:         Richard Lynch <rlynch@INFOSAT.COM>
Subject:      85 Vanagon surging/thanks!

Being inspired by the list I put a complete set of KYB shocks on the Van this weekend (elapsed time 20 minutes rear, 50 minutes and a lot of swearing front). Also changed the alternator belt as it was cracking. After cleaning up went for the test drive, big improvement though a little harsher on small bumps. Old shocks were original with 141K km's. BUT, in a great coincidence the van now idles a little rough, and surges at highway speeds (especially under load). The only thing touched was the alternator belt! I can only maintain 70 KMH on hills that we used to hold 85 on. Checked plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Put some fuel additive in (in case it was bad gas). No effect. Cleaned all the ground wires to the engine (another list topic). No effect. Tried to change the O2 sensor, but the old one won't budge.

This morning it ran fine. Found Ken's website (http://199.217.188.30/disc2_frm.htm) with an entry perfectly titled "How to troubleshoot your Vanagon for Bucking and loss of power syndrome". THANK YOU KEN! So I'll spend the day at work thinking about diagnostics rather than work.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated. I just HATE how I can go from happy about improving my beloved Vanagon to ready to push it off a cliff.

Thanks! Richard Lynch

[text/html]