Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:05:22 -0500
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      HELP! Loss of Voltage.. Am I thinking right?

This one goes out to Vanagon owners that have been through this before...

The problem:

I have an '82 Westy that is loosing voltage throughout the system. At the alternator output, there is 13.8v. Just perfect, but at the battery I'm only showing 12.2v and when testing the heater the battery was at 11.8v but the heater was only seeing 10.4v with the van off, and 11.7v with the van running.

There has been no problems with starting the van, or with getting enough time for accessories out of the battery.

The alternator was replaced last year and has 17,000 miles on it.

The battery is only a few months older and has only a few more miles on it.

When the motor was replaced, there were numerous loose connections at the starter. All the terminals were cleaned to a bright, shiny gleam before reconnection, but alas no improvement in lighting brightness. The really weird part is the lights don't seem much dimmer when the wipers and gas heater are running.

My proposed solution:

I'm thinking that I need to replace the following items..

The wire from the alternator to the starter The wire from the starter to the battery The battery terminals Install a headlight relay Install H4 Headlights

Does this sound right? also, if anyone has done this before, please share any pitfalls, or let me know if I'm missing something. the T.U.R.D. has become my daily driver for a while, and not having enough light coming out the front is not going to work.

Thanks Chris Smith