Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:35:08 -0700
From:         coyote <coyote@LENSCRAFT.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Re: [Syncro] Rotate the spare??

In response to my question about rotating tires on a syncro, Bill Davidson wrote: >I think there is a lot of debate on this. >The owner's manual shows (p 115 form my 1990) a 4 wheel rotation.. rears to >front, fronts to rear... and they say "Tires should always remain on the >same side of the vehicle." > >Tire shops tell me this is bunk... that it is left over from when radial >tires were relatively new and reversing their rotation could harm the >sidewalls. That is not the case nowadays. > >That said, I have been following the recommended pattern in the owner's >manual and working in my two spares by taking my fronts to spare and then >the spares to rear. However, thinking about a Westy and how the weight is >all on one side I imagine that the wear pattern will be different on the two >sides... And that could be a problem for Syncros. (I know how the load is >distributed makes a difference to a good alignment man.) Because of that, I >may begin to do a pattern that gives them some time on each side of the >vehicle... I don't think I have so many miles on them yet that it will be >too late. > >So the non-VW pattern goes something like this: RR to RF, RF to LR; LR to >LF, LF to RR.... (If you want to do a 5 or six tire rotation you can say >take the fronts to spares and then the spares to rears)... I don't think the >pattern matters much as long as you make sure each tire gets to all the the >positions eventually... for an equal amount of time. ... and that you keep >using the same patter of rotation... I find it helpful to make a drawing of >the pattern and put it in the owner's manual so I remember.

What do people think about this strategy? I want to put up a recommendation page on vanagon.com, and I'd like to get it right :-)

Ron -- -- /\_/\ ____ Ron 'Coyote' Lussier ( ) \ _/__ Lenscraft coyote@lenscraft.com \ / \X / 229 8th Street Unit 4 1.415.241.0815 \_/ \/ San Francisco, CA 94103