Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 2000 00:16:40 -0400
From:         jeff crane <jeffcrane@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shuddering clutch engagement

I keep reading the statements made as regards shuddering clutch engagement. You folks are fond of saying ,IMHO, so here comes mine for what it is worth. Having worked in the transportation industry for over 20 years in every capacity associated with vehicular maintenance, from cars to heavy diesel trucks, I can say that this particular malady is universal. The problem with poor engagement of the drive clutch can be traced to the flywheel and or clutch pressure plate hammer surface. It is just good policy to have the flywheel stone ground in a flywheel machining apparatus, that includes coolant in the process and has stone "cutters" made just for this purpose. If you take a moment to look at the face of the pressure plate hammer on the new one, you will see the smooth shiny surface. Your flywheel completes the other side so the grip should be the same. If it is not so you get grabbing during engagement. Run your finger tips across the surface of the flywheel where it is blue and burnt, you will feel the difference. This must be dealt with, to ensure proper operation during engagement. Don't waste your time going all ballistic on the clutch manufacturer or rebuilder. In the end you would feel pretty silly. Jeff/Florida

P.S. Soon I hope to be in the market for a Westy, so I have joined your list to learn as much as I can about them in order to make a good purchase choice.