Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Apr 2000 21:11:11 -0700
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Custom Cat Heaters

We have used our plat cat for many, many years in various westies. I think definitely the best place for the plat cat is behind the front passenger seat. I use the larger plat cat model. One can still turn the seat around if you install the plat cat the way I did. The top of the plat cat is the same height as the seat bottom. So it's not too much of an inconvenience. We still use the front passenger seat facing the rear or the towards the aisle, even with the heater going.

The way I did it is that I rerouted the exhaust, which usually exits from the top, to exit from the right side instead. (right side when facing the heater). That was the only alteration I did to the heater to make it fit the westy. To do that you have to take the heater apart, and make a new opening for the vent tube on the right side of the heater housing. (It looks the pictures of the plat cat heater in my camper disappeared from Jim's wetwestie website.) About the space for the portapotti, we usually keep it opposite the heater, when we're driving, strapped against the rear bench. When we're camping, the portapotti sorts of ends up moving around the tight floor space. And stows between the front seats, which is a very tight fit, but I got ours to fit that narrow space. It is a challenge to live in the small space of a westy with 2 people. But the last thing I would want to give up is the plat cat vented heater, at least up here in the great outdoors of the Pacific Northwest. Just my 2 cents. Harald '90 westy

Bill wrote: > For a radiant heater like the Plat Cat, I think the best location is either > right behind the passenger seat.. mounted on the aft side of the starter > battery compartment or between the seats.. (Harald used to have some good > photos of his installation behind the passenger seat, but they don't seem to > be at the old web address any more.) > > These locations point the heat to where you will likely be.. on the rear > bench seat. > > Problem with behind the passenger seat is makes it so the passenger seat > cannot be used facing aft.