Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:24:40 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Third brake lights (tack-free)
Comments: To: JKrevnov@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@netcom.com>

At 10:32 4/19/2000, Rico Sapolich wrote: >Oh yes, the power of the internet! Sometimes it seems like its true prowess >is its ability to disseminate inaccurate information in terms of absolutes. >A CURRENT-LIMITING SERIES RESISTOR IS NOT NEEDED TO OPERATE AN LED AT A >VOLTAGE NEAR ITS TYPICAL OPERATING VOLTAGE.

Oh all right. I'm sorry I said *absolute* when I should have said "unless you're reckless." Yes, I'm quite familiar with forward voltage vs. current curves. I was speaking in practical terms of a working installation that's expected to operate for some period of time. Also speaking to an audience who I didn't think wanted to hear an earful about diode characteristics. And, I might add, I've smoked quite a few LEDs in my time, not that I'm proud of it. Embarrassed, rather.

>certain that I am not full of bullshit. Hell, if you feel a little frisky, >connect ONE of them across 2 of the batteries (i.e., about 3.12 V) and watch >it glow brightly.

Ok. I was feeling frisky. Tried a red one first. Half an amp, got a brightish flash which quickly dimmed and then continued to dim until it went out. Current gradually sagged to 400 ma, and the device was sizzling hot. Another red (similar), same results. Orange, lit up nice and bright at 50 milliamps (twice its rated absolute maximum current). Gradually got hot and slightly dimmer. Current steady. Yellow, bright at 60 ma, three times its absolute maximum rating. Quickly got hot and moderately dimmer. Current sagged to 58 ma. Another yellow (high-brightness type) lit up very bright at 220 ma. Got slightly dimmer and current sagged to 190 ma. Leads were hot.

So what's your point? That if you're really lucky you can get a device to balance on a usable place on the Vf/If curve? I agree. With the lower voltage (per LED) you suggested, the orange and one of the yellows might even have survived for a while. I hope you're not suggesting this is good engineering practice, or the way to build a reliable piece of equipment....

>*absolute* you come across.

Yes, I do apologize for that *absolute* -- very misleading.

:) david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"