Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:30:21 EDT
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Seam rust.  Yuck.

I have seam rust on my '88 Westfalia. Not exactly a big surprise, of course. It's primarily in the low horizontal seam on the driver's side, just like everybody else's. For a while it was just bubbling up under the paint, but now the paint has flaked off significantly. No rust-through, as far as I can tell. Also, when I had the fridge out a while back, I had Ziebart put rust convertor and anti-rust protector (a thick waxy stuff) in the wall, so supposedly I shouldn't get any new rust via that route.

So my question is, what to do about it. I've followed past rust discussions on the list, but I haven't quite managed to gather what to do. I'm probably not up to doing any serious body work myself, though I could probably manage something easy. Also, I don't necessarily need "show quality" results - I just want something that looks reasonably good for a 12-year-old vehicle (which I'm planning to keep long-term), and I want to stop the progression of the rust.

I went to three body shops and got estimates. Here's what they offered:

Solution 1: "grind and fill" rusted seam, and repaint the area. However, all said the rust might return. Dealer: $898, 1 year warrenty on rust return Independant shop I've used before: $856, no warrenty on rust return Maaco: $616, either no or 90 day warrenty (I forget which)

Solution 2: replace lower half of the large side panel, plus the narrow bottom side panel, and repaint the area. Dealer: didn't check - they reccomended this only if they found rust-through during the grind-and-fill. Independant body shop: $1441, guarenteed no rust return Maaco: $1547, guarenteed against rust, but I don't know for how long.

(Yeah, I know Maaco's reputation. They did fine on a very small job I gave them a few weeks ago, though, and examples they showed me of their work looked good, but I'd check more thoroughly before using them.)

So: all of these are expensive. Is the grind and fill likely to be good enough? Does anyone have anything less expensive and/or more effective to reccomend?

-Steven Sittser