Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:46:21 -0500
From:         bnimmo <bnimmo@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Import CDN Spec 91 VW Westfalia to USA

I wish to import a 1991 Canadian Spec VW Westfalia into the USA.

The letter from VW of North America states that it needs a MPH speedometer face, and 1/8 in. letters saying 'brake' on/above the red dash light to meet 49 state specs. (NOT CA). This is OK as I want to register it in TX.

My questions are: 1. Advice on the best, least costly way to satisfy the US Gov't? 2. The KPH limit of the CDN speedometer face? 3. Someone's experience doing this import exercise? 4. Where I can get a new MPH face for the CDN spec speedometer?

When I asked the dealer that originally sold it (Richmond Hills Motors) for their solution; a new speedometer at $700.

The car is currently in storage in Amsterdam (unregistered, last reg. was Ontario by only previous owner), and I am in Guadalajara, Mexico.

What I propose to do is to ship it to either Canada, where the previous owner will receive it; or to Veracruz, Mexico where I shall attempt to bring it in here. The reason that I choose these two places is that I read that from Europe it has to go through emission testing, but not from Canada, Mexico, or the Bahamas.

I just joined this list after hearing about it from Don and Susan Welch while they were here on their way to Miami to ship "NOBADAYS" to South America.

Reading the list; I can't believe that there are that many parts in a VW that can go wrong. There is invaluable info.

My first new car was a 1959 Beetle; had three more. Then got a 1971 Volvo 145E, talk about trouble! Now this is my first VW since then. We are retired in a 26' motorhome in Mex., and the VW is ideal for Europe and Mexico as it is less thirsty for fuel and rides the toll roads at the cost of a car.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Brodie Nimmo