Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:41:26 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Seam rust.  Yuck.
Comments: To: Ssittservl@AOL.COM

Yes, Steve, I do now know how to deal with seam rust!

(I am currently taking an autobody course, evenings at a local H school.)

My van is similar to yours, at least in that it has seam rust.

First off, there is no reason, other than time, why one cannot repair 95% of this themselves, at little cost (just materials). It's so easy!

Simple bodywork, perhaps excepting painting, is IMHO, a highly over-rated trade. Even first timers in my class, total fools, are doing first class jobs. I think the main diff between us and pro's - is that pros are lots faster at it.

What you will need to buy at an auto paint supply store (not Home Depot or Can Tire):

A good utility knife, with retractable blades, and 2 or 3 replacement blades,

6 of the long strips of 80 grit automotive sandpaper

some 240 grit sp, wet/dry if possible

tube of seam sealer, and a caulking gun (Home Depot - ok, only for the gun)

a quart of 2 part epoxy primer, a high fill type (lots of solids to aid coverage)

a small paint brush, a larger paint brush ;>);

laccuur (sp) thinner or something similar.

Get a coupla tin cans to hold the mixed primer.

2 rolls of 1/2 inch masking tape, 1 roll of 2" wide masking tape.

Here's what you do to eliminate the rusty seams:

You know how in profile the seams form a "v" shape?

What you want to do is take the utility knife, and carefully follow the contours of the seam, and cut out the sealer - it's like a vinyl grout.

You want it all out, and you want to scrape away all the rust you can. Be patient, and don't do anything beyond what needs it.

Obviously, keep the knife under control, take your time and don't go nuts and scratch the body. Remove your rings and watch, too!

Now, take the tape, and carefully mask off both sides of the seam, to protect the paint along the seam, because sanding is next.

Get a piece of sandpaper, and fold it into three - it stays in your hand better that way, as it grips itself.

Now, with the edge of the folded paper, start sanding the interior of the seam until it is bright metal. This does not take nearly as long as you'd think.

Remove the tape, and wipe out the seam with the thinner - or a cleaner-degreaser.

Apply tape to protect all unexposed areas of paint. Make sure that any bare metal is NOT hidden by the tape - or you have invited rust.

Mix up a small amount of the primer - maybe a total of 2 ounces or so - as you need very little.

With the paintbrush, carefully apply primer to the exposed and cleaned seam. When it is barely dry to the touch, remove the tape.

This is now a waterproof, impenetrable surface for the seam sealer to go on. Much better than the original - much tighter and harder.

If you want to put on a second coat of primer, do it according the directions on the can - they will discuss how soon a second coat can go on.

You may want to smooth it out with a 240 grit wet/dry sandpaper, using water. Up to you.

Now, get ready for the seam sealer.

Now, make sure that the paint around the seam is properly masked with tape. An idea here is to use the seam sealer to cover any primer that you have exposed (ie: any mistakes!)

So, applying the seam sealer is like this:

Do - Work in small areas or portions at a time - finish one before you move to another section; Do - have a rag with thinner handy for cleanups or smoothing out; Do - put a THIN bead of sealer in the groove; Do - slide your finger along the bead, to press the sealer into the seam well (may be helpfully for finger to be wet with thinner); Do- use wet cloth to smooth it out of needed.

Now, if your van is white, like mine is, you're essentially done.

If you want to paint, that's another story (coming soon!) - but at least the rusty seams are now dealt with.

I am going to have rockGuard sprayed on the lower body sections, and the wheelwells - but I haven't done that yet - so I can't talk about it from personal experience.

When I'm done, I'll share the tricks I've picked up.

Hope this helps,

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy "Iron Igloo"

-----Original Message----- From: S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 7:33 PM Subject: Seam rust. Yuck.