Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:29:47 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Running Empty 2: outta fuel @ 55 litres???

Strange thing happened to me the other day:

I replaced the fuel tank and fuel gauge sender in my 1982 diesel westy a couple of weeks ago. Filled with diesel then drove around happily for the next week or so.

Coming home the other night, just after completing a 270 degree right-hand turn on an exit clover leaf, the bus just quit. Run out of fuel. I'd gone 370 miles on the tank of fuel so far--which I figured was pretty good (mix of highway / city driving)--but the fuel gauge needle was *just* getting into the red at that point and I had figured I'd just fill up again when I got home to the island where I live, which was another 15 miles or so from where I "ran out" of fuel.

Two funny things related to this:

1) I had the bus towed directly to a gas station (did not add any fuel from a jerry can), and the tank took only 55 litres of fuel--and that was squeezing it in and topping off. For you folks who don't think in metric, the rated capacity for the Vanagon tank is 60 litres, and like I said, it's a brand-spankin' new tank, so I hadn't had a chance to dent it off-road yet.

2) About 20 miles driving distance earlier, when Christa was driving it to pick me up, she had the engine cut out a bit and sputter (but not die completely) just after completing a 90 degree right-hand turn highway exit ramp.

3) (I know I said two, but I get a freebie...). Christa had run the tank *really* low a month or so earlier (pre-tank replacement), and she had put in 63.5 litres in one fill. (!).

So: what gives?

1) Initially I thought my sender wasn't calibrated correctly, and it only read "just into the red' when it should have been, like, below the red.

2) But I only fit 55 litres into the tank on refill, suggesting I still had *at least* 5 litres, possibly 8 litres or more left in the tank. (That's 1 - 2 gallons for the metrically-challenged). So maybe the sender was right after all.

3) My tank is an aftermarket tank from California Imports here in BC, and perhaps it's just made with a smaller capacity? But the fit into the bus was so good, and the original and replacement tanks *looked* very very close--like identical--so I'm not leaning that way. Also, I called CaliImports and talked to them afterwards and they told me (of course, I know...) that they've sold a bajillion of the things and haven't come across a complaint of lower-than-factory capacity before. So I don't know.

4) Here's my best guess: Inspection of the old (original VW?) tank and the new (aftermarket) tank reveals that the old tank had baffles installed inside, I assume to keep fuel from sloshing too much from side to side. The new tank does not have any baffles visible.

My hypothesis:

I'm guessing that when the tank is getting low, and during pronounced right-hand corners of more than a few seconds duration, enough fuel sloshed to the left side of the tank to starve the fuel pick-up line (located on the right side) of fuel. Earlier in the day, Christa's 90 degree turn had deprived the engine of engine fuel to make it sputter until it got more fuel. Later, my 270 degree turn was long enough (and the tank was that much lower by then) that the motor lost fuel supply completely and just up and quit. I'm betting I still had 5 or 8 litres of fuel in there, but around that corner, my fuel pump couldn't get to it. Maybe if I'd tried to crank it, it may have started, but I didn't get a chance to test that. (I was able to coast to a safe place, we have auto service coverage, I had Christa and both kids with me, and the middle and rear of the bus was filled with a half cord of wood, so I didn't want to have to do anything that might mean I'd have to unload the bus the get to tools and the engine compartment.)

So the point of this post is:

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Does the hypothesis about baffles, sloshing fuel, and "inaccurate" senders make sense?

I think I'm just gonna live with this, since I don't feel like pulling the tank again and likely paying even more money for a baffled tank--if I can even find one.

T. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada tobin.copley@ubc.ca

'82 westy 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |__| |__|:| clatter 1995: 'Round US, Mexico, Canada 15,000 mi O|. .| clatter! 1996: Vancouver to Inuvik, NWT 7,400 km ~-()-==----()-~ Previous buses: '76 westy deluxe (Daisy), '76 westy standard (Mango) http://www.sfu.ca/~tcopley/vw/