Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:40:08 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: FW: CV Joint Swapping

Rusty, take a pencil and visualize it as your right side half shaft: with the eraser at the transmission and the point at the wheel. Now mark an arrow on the eraser in the direction that the transmission is trying to turn the shaft. Now on the pointed end, mark an arrow in the direction the wheel is trying to resist rotation. These two arrows should be pointing in opposite directions. If you were to simply "Flip the axleshafts end-for-end" then the arrows would still be pointing in the same directions. This means that the force from the transmission and the resistive force from the wheel would still be wearing the CV joints on the same ball races. However, if you took your pencil and visualized it as the left half shaft, you would see that both the transmission force direction and the wheel resistive direction are opposite to the arrows on the pencils. This means that the CV joints would be wearing on the other side of the ball races. Almost like having new joints. Should buy you another 50-70 thousand miles (well lubed of course). Larry