Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:15:55 -0700
From:         Jeanne Maly <traveller57@CABLEONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Secure Luggage Rack Storage

I found the foot locker on contico's website. The item number is No. 1320 (with Wheels). It's in the Parts Storage section, many pages down. The box works quite well but it's a little taller than I wanted and a bunch shorter than the luggage rack.

I found a place on the web that makes these things to order and have requested a quote on one that would fit better. I'll let all of you interested parties know how it goes.

Jeanne

----- Original Message ----- From: Jeanne Maly To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 4:15 PM Subject: Secure Luggage Rack Storage

While browsing at our local outdoors shop, I discovered something far less expensive that might be a usable solution for secure luggage rack storage.

A company called Contico, St. Louis, www.contico.com manufactures polypropylene (sp?) boxes for all sorts of purposes. At the outdoor shop, I discovered a 32"l x 17"w x 12.25"h footlocker which just might do the trick for me. I plan to go back tonight and purchase one to check it out. Since 32" doesn't fill out the luggage rack, I'll have space for a gas can since I haven't found any alternative way to carry one safely. I could also store my folding chairs alongside the footlocker. It has little wheels on one end so that, when it's on the ground, it would be easy to move around. It is extremely light weight - I could pick it up with one finger on each hand. It sells for $30! And this is not any kind of a discount store.

What I will do if this seems like a good thing is this: remove the luggage rack, drill appropriately spaced holes in the bottom of the luggage rack, to be mated with holes in the bottom of the footlocker. I'll glue bolts upwards through the holes (with some kind of metal reinforcing under the fiberglass) to go into the holes in the footlocker, fasten the footlocker down with rubber washers and butterfly nuts on the inside of the box. The footlocker has a place on it for a padlock. If you space it really well, you could have the footlocker face either the front or the back. Since we will be crossing a great number of borders in South America, it occurred to me that I didn't want to have to pop the top at the border so that the border guards could search the luggage.

For anyone who wants a larger storage space, I saw a truck storage box on the website that is 48" long. I'm not sure if that would fit in the luggage rack or not, but it's close. If anybody finds these footlockers on the web, please let us all know. Heck, a discount off of $30 would still be a good thing.

I'll let you know how it works out. If it's not good, I'll go back to the fiberglass lid idea.

Jeanne '87 Syncro Westy

[text/html]