Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:38:34 -0500
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Love

I've had my '82 Westy for over 3 years now. I even sold my beloved '74 Ghia so that the wife would allow her in the driveway. I have had a few issues in the last 50,000 miles with her, but most were expected for a vehicle that now has over 250,000. I've camped in the van over 50 times in the last 3 years, have added the following: CB Amateur Radio (yes I have both, ever try raising help on 2M in the middle of no-where?) new A/C system camp batteries D/C to A/C inverter A/C to D/C power supply Solar Panels TV roof rack oscillating fan fog lamps seats with arm rests (not available in '82, but the best addition to date!) carb (I hate F.I., but that's just me) high performance exaust boat-loads of camping equipment CD player decent speakers and the list goes on...

She has been a money pit at times, but just when I think how much she has costed me, I look at what my '82 626 used to cost: Westy: new engine $1600 via help from list 626: new engine via Mazda $2600

Westy: Brakes $300 626: $700

Westy: Clutch $75 626: $320 at time of engine swap

Westy : Suspension work $125 626: $970

As you can see this is not a scientific example. The only point I'm trying to make is that I've owned much worse money pits than my westy. Plus, no other car has inspired the love my family has for TURD. All in all, I wouldn't trade the old gal for the world, well.. maybe for a syncro westy loaded with spare parts on a strait-up trade.. but we all have dreams:-)

Chris Smith Keeper of the TURD