Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:50:33 -0700
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: syncro 16'' Camper stolen in Rome Italy

Since it's Friday anyway, I thought to translate this German post for you that Tom Niksch forwarded to the list about the stolen 16" syncro in Rome. A quick and dirty loose translation: I hope Tom doesn't mind me translating this for the non-German speakers on the list.

On Sunday April 9, 2000, my partner Evelyn and I arrived at 12:00 pm in Rome, where we were planning to spend a multi-day holiday. Because of the car-free Sunday, we ended up unplanned in the middle of downtown, but not as planned at a campground in the outskirts of the city. As coincidence decided, we discovered an available spot in the Via Properzio in front of a motorcycle store. After a short decision-making, since it was actually a no-parking zone, we decided to park the car there anyway, especially since at this place, six other cars were already parked, and the store was closed. After a several hour stroll through the Vatican, Castel Sant' Angelo, Fontana di Trevi, and die Piazza Spagna, we returned at 7:30 pm to the parking place of our car. To my shock, we discovered that the vehicle was missing. After we confirmed that we were at the right place, we observed that the 2 left and right adjacent cars from our camper were still there. At that point, we became aware that our car must have been stolen. At a cafe across the street, we asked if perhaps somebody observed a tow-away operation, but only got the answer that they didn't see anything. On the way to the next police station, we stopped a police car of the Carabinieri who took a quick note for the investigation, and told us to go to the police station. Even though both of us are able to communicate in Italian (my partner lived for a half year in Olbia and Palau (Sardinien)), we were still thankful that in the evening, an officer well-versed in German was on duty in Stazione di Roma San Pietro, Piazza Adriana. Through this, now at least, we could give an exact description of the conspicuous Volkswagen bus to be dispatched by the police throughout Rome. But what upset me most was the fact that a formal report and further investigation and search could only be started the next morning. The reason for this was that the police station did not have any international forms on hand. Topping it off, the guibeleo 2000 in ZDF(?) (2nd German tv station) boasted about the police station in connection with this situation. It's not my place to criticize the work of all of the Italian police, but the discoveries which we regretfully had to make, are in direct contradiction to what the "Roma sicura" info brochures claim. If a police station is in service 24 hours, but doesn't have the most basic equipment available, and then a report can only be made hours later, I can't see any professionalism. Because of my negative impression, I went to the German consulate in Rome with a plea to once again research by the Polizia Municipale, if the vehicle was possibly towed-away. Even though the vehicle has 187,000 km on its back, it represents for my partner and me a very high and actually unreplaceable value. We are thankful for every information which could bring us back into possession of our syncro. Of course, there would be an appropriate reward for success. The white 16" syncro is an absolutely unique item, which was a co-production by Volkswagen and SpecialMobils and projektzwo for the international OffRoad Vehicle exhibition 1990 in Munich, as a show object for a optimally equipped expedition vehicle. I got the pictures with the WOB license plate from an article from the magazine "OffRoad" 2/1991, where the vehicle is well-documented. translated by Harald '90 westy ---------- > From: Tom Niksch <Syncro16@AOL.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: syncro 16'' Camper stolen in Rome Italy > Date: Friday, April 21, 2000 4:22 AM > > Homepage: > http://home.t-online.de/home/hartmut-guenther-gp/syncro.htm > > E-Mail : > hartmut-guenther-gp@t-online.de > guenthe6@pdgp.bwl.de > > Telefon (office) +49 7161 63-2290 Fax (office) +49 7161 63-2297 > > Forwarded by TomNiksch@AOL.com > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< > > VW Vanagon 16'' syncro > white Special Mobils Camper Conversion > licece plate: (Germay) GP-NJ 99 > stolen in ROME Italy Via Properzio 09.April.2000, > between 12:00 hrs und 19:30 hrs > > Am Sonntag, dem 09.04.2000 kamen meine Partnerin Evelyne und ich gg. 12:00 > Uhr in Rom an, wo wir einen mehrtägigen Urlaub verbringen wollten. Aufgrund > des autofreien Sonntags gelangten wir eigentlich ungeplant > direkt in der Innenstadt und nicht wie > vorgesehen auf einem Campingplatz am Rande der Stadt. > > Wie es der Zufall wollte, entdeckten wir in der Via Properzio auch > noch einen freien Platz vor > einem Motorradgeschäft. Nach kurzer > Überlegung, weil dort eigentlich Halteverbot war, entschlossen wir > uns dennoch, das > Fahrzeug dort abzustellen, zumal an diesem > Platz mindestens sechs weitere Autos standen und das Geschäft > "verrammelt" war. > > Nach einem mehrstündigen Spaziergang durch den Vatikan, Castel > Sant' Angelo, Fontana di > Trevi und die Piazza Spagna kamen wir > gg. 19:30 Uhr zum Abstellplatz unseres Autos zurück. > > Mit Entsetzen mußten wir feststellen, daß das Fahrzeug fehlt. > Nachdem wir uns > vergewisserten hatten, daß wir an der richtigen Stelle > sind und auch feststellten, daß die beiden, links und rechts von > unserem Wohnmobil > geparkten Autos noch da standen, war uns > eigentlich klar, daß nur ein Diebstahl vorliegen kann. In einem