Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Apr 2000 15:00:20 -0700
From:         Jeanne Maly <traveller57@CABLEONE.NET>
Subject:      Preparations for Rough Roads

You may recall the thread on this topic last November. I'm preparing for an 8 month trip to South America in my '87 Syncro Westy. Since no vanagon parts are available in South America, it's necessary to treat this trip as though I were off-road for 8 months. In my attempt to research how to do this, I came across a Volkswagen publication describing preparations for rough roads which included a spare parts list. Unfortunately for me, it was pre-fuel injection and pre-syncro. So, I'm attempting to settle on a list of parts - this being complicated by the fact that I am not even a shadetree mechanic. I'm listing all the parts I think I need here. If you see a glaring error - either by omission or because I'm including something unnecessary like diesel parts, please let me know.

I'd appreciate any feedback. This is a heck of an expensive list. I don't even have estimates of prices on everything because in some cases I don't even know what it is! Duh.

ENGINE Inserts for intake air cleaner K&N Air Filter 2 engine oil filters Set of engine gaskets Gaskets for cylinder head cover Oil strainer cover 2 copper gaskets for oil drain plug 1 oil drain plug + washer 1 thermoswitch Tuneup kit, incl: Spark plugs, caps, rotor (platinum = 2.75) Spark plug wire 1 clutch plate, cable 1 float needle valve 1 accelerator cable 1 set of contact breaker points 1 distributor cap, rotor arm 2 vee belts exhaust mounting loops 1 ignition coil Oddly shaped pieces coolant hoses and clips fuel hose and clips

Front and rear axles 1 inner & 1 outer wheel bearing & 1 wheel bearing oil seal front wheel bearing front wheel seal rear wheel bearing inner rear wheel bearing outer Rubber boots for tie rod joints Rubber boots and steering ball joints with rings Ball joints with rings Grease nipples Grease seal? 2 shock absorbers 2 coil springs Drive joint boots with fasteners CV Boot Kit, front outer, Syncro

1 spring strut and rubber buffer

Gearbox Front & rear bonded rubber 1 oil drain plug

Brakes 2-3 sets of brake pads/linings for disc brakes Drum brakes (depending on distance to be covered) Brake hoses Brake lines 1 can of brake fluid Syncro Brake cables Left Right

Electrical system TCI switch unit Electrical wiring Various connectors 1 set of vehicle bulbs 1 packet of fuses Headlamp lenses

Other Assortment of nuts, bolts, washers, split pins Fuel filter Air filters Power steering belt Power steering fluid Ignition rotor (Same as coil?) O2 sensor Fan belts

Need Rear Hatch Strut RTV Sealant Fix-a-flat, WD40 Oil change bucket Locking lug nuts Baling wire Solderless connector kit Electrical & Duct Tape Axle grease Oil Coolant Spare lug nuts Transaxle drain plug Radial tubes in spares

Jeanne '87 Syncro Westy