Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:37:46 -0700
From:         Ron Bloomquist <roadcow@MCN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Syncro "reserve" fuel capacity

Hi Volks,

I have taken to resetting the "trip odometer" after I fill the gas tank and then driving until somewhere just short of 300 miles (keeping in mind how far it is to the next gas station).

I'm figuring 15 gallons X 20 mpg average = 300 miles.

IF the Vanagon tank IS bigger than 15 gallons that leaves what? one gallon? one and a half gallons? Anyway, a cushion of approximately 20 to 30 miles.

My Vanagon fuel gage (gauge?) seems to be non-linear. It goes down quickly to half full and then takes much longer to reach empty. That's why I have learned to rely on the trip odometer.

Another item, possibly of interest:

I have finally figured out a "sure lighting method" for my Vanagon refrigerator. Instead of trying to see the pilot light through that wee "sighting window" down in the back corner of the refrigerator behind the beer I just turn on the LED display panel and watch for the green LED to come on as I "click" away. Way easier.

And finally, in the recent improvements department:

I got my Federal income tax refund and went crazy. I bought and installed LED lighting in the camping area of my Vanagon. My vanagon came with only one incandescent light fixture just ahead of the closet. Great for one person sitting on the drivers side of the bench seat, reading.

So, I put two 3 LED light units over the stove/sink area and one goose necked 3 LED light over the passenger seat to be used as a reading light when the seat is swiveled around to face the rear. Each lighting unit only draws 30 milliamps! I got them from www.realgoods.com

If you want to see what they look like go to the Real Goods webpage and type LED into their search window.

The crazy part is that they cost $40 bucks each!! Oh well. At least they will never burn out and they will never "kill" my battery.

Ron Bloomquist