Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:28:58 -0500
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      T.U.R.D. might need a new name
Comments: To: dbginfo@onelist.com

This is an odd post for me but...

The TURD is starting to reject her name. As many of you know, the TURD is an acronym for Totally Unreliable Recreational Device. In the past she has earned her name in spades. Ben and others can attest to the numerous times that I have been left waiting for AAA to show up. (over last few renewals they told me that I had saved over $3000 in services since joining 5 years ago, gotta love 100 free miles towing!) I've had a failed F.I., Fuel Pump, bad relays, multiple ruined oil seals (remember BBTA '98 Andy?), bad tires, bad alternator, lost the LP tank, new engine, dash fire, broken shore power connector, bad coil, ruined points, bad heater spark/glow plug, leaky door seals, oil smoke in the heaters, fried camp batteries, bad 120v circuit breaker, and a few other minor things that I can't remember right now. Needless to say the name TURD just seemed right.

Now she is throwing me a curve ball. The Thing is in the middle of a rather long, drown-out, unmotivated engine rebuild so she isn't on the road. The Jeep is forcing me to replace a boat-load of front-end components <see side story below> . The tURD has become my daily driver for the last few weeks. My commute is about 125 miles each day. 2 years ago the TURD would have lasted about 3 days before a major break-down, but the weird part is, she, knock on wood <knock, knock, knock>, has been running perfectly. That's right, not a single problem. It's as if she doesn't like the name TURD and is trying to prove that she really is reliable after-all. I'm not sure if I belive her, but she is starting to change my mind.

The big question is, if she is no longer TOTALLY unreliable, what should be her new name?

Expiring minds want to know.

I'm going to leave it up to the list to decide since I have no luck with names.

<Side Story> If you're thinking of using WrenchHead.com forget it. I ordered brake rotors from them 4 weeks ago. They sent the wrong order and when I called them to inform them of their mistake they promised to send a UPS call tag for the order and ship my new parts right away. As of today they claim that I have already received my order and they never sent the wrong one in the first place. This is worse customer service than I expect from trak auto!

Chris Smith '82 Westy <TURD> '74 Thing <Thingy1> Others