Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Apr 2000 06:37:41 EDT
From:         Chuck Mathis <CMathis227@AOL.COM>
Subject:      First Longish Trip

Loaded the family into the '85 Weekender and headed from Cincy to the Smokies for a few days this past weekend. This was my first "long" trip with 'Roland' since we purchased the van last spring. We drove close to 800 miles quite comfortably with no more serious problems than squeaky front brakes (new German pads and rotors two weeks ago). Gas mileage was pretty good for a 1.9L/automatic averaging 19 mpg. The combination of KYB shocks, Michlen MXT's, and an Airlift kit made 'Roland' seem like a wholly different van from the one I bought with bad shocks, Goodyear Wrangler AT's, and saggy springs.

The only time I got a little nervous was in the most serious traffic jam I've ever seen in Pidgeon Forge -- nothing in Houston, Boston, Honolulu, or even New York had prepared me for this thing. Some bright spark (me) figured he'd take a short cut down Wears Valley Road back to Townsend after an afternoon of Gatlin-slumming. Not really a bad idea unless there happens to be a Rod Run in town. Took us over four hours to go three miles! All the while being crowded by Camaros, Mustangs, and other cramped noisy things. The temp started to climb a little but I could hear the fan kicking in and things stayed in control. I discovered that I can use the Digitool to verify slight changes of the temp guage -- gets kind of scary though when the Temp II reading goes to -0.01! Once we got rolling again the temp needle dropped and the Digitool reading climbed to 0.04.

At one point in the jam I ended up next to a nice looking '69 Camaro (with a big block from the sound and feel of it). The driver blipped his throttle a couple time letting out a thunderous BRAAP BRAAP while looking at me with a stupid redneck grin on his face. Not wanting to be out done I quickly goosed the mighty 1.9L Wasserboxer letting out a gentle vroom room, grinned at him and shouted "Sleeps four!" Everybody at the light had a good laugh.

We saw two other Westy's on the trip. One was a late 70's Pea-Green Loaf parked in the Gatlinburg Arts and Crafts Community -- when I enquired in one of the shops who the owner was the lady said "Oh, and I thought you were an art lover." She did tell me who the van belonged to but I didn't have a chance to hunt him down since She-Who-Does-Not-Appreciate wanted to move on. The other sighting was a white '86-on Westy on Jellico Mountain he was headed up and south as we were headed down and north. I waved, he didn't.

The next big test will be the trip to Houston in June with the wife, the dog, and two cats -- glad I won't have to turn around a come back from that one.

Chuck '85 Weekender -- 'Roland'