Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:45:10 EST
From:         James Flanigan <vanagon40@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Igntion Switch/Headlight Woes

'83 Vanagon (water-boxer)

I have problems with both my ignition switch and headlights. I believe they are unrelated. However, I have read soooooo many messages claiming that headlight problems can be solved by replacing the ignition switch, I keep an open mind. But I await a response how the two problems can be related.

Here's the deal:

Problem #1: My ignition switch. A long time ago, my ignition switch no longer functioned to start my van. Everything worked, except the final START position.

Solution to Problem #1: I jumpered a starter switch to the wires to the ignition switch. The starter button cost about $7.00, and has worked great for about a year and half. I have no problems. Turn on the key, push the starter button, and the van starts every time. Beyond the lack of the final START position, I have no problems with my ignition switch.

Problem B (only Click & Clack fans will appreciate my numbering system): At almost the same time my ignition switch developed problems, I had an unusual problems with my headlights (this happened first). My bright lights would turn on and stay on even after I turned off the ignition switch. I first noticed this problem on my way to work, and when I hit the dimmer switch (on my turn signal stalk), the lights failed to dim. I stopped my van, turned it off, and lights went out, everything normal. Brights and Dims worked again. But the problem came back. Eventually, the Brights would come on even after I had parked the van. Prior to this problem, it was impossible to leave the headlights on with the ignition switch turned off.

Solution to Problem B: Shortly after this problem developed, I parked my van at a relative's house. The Bright lights came on. I pulled the fuses to both Bright lights. One headlamp remained light (I think it was the right, but not for sure). I then pulled the fuse to my radiator fan, and the light went out. I have driven my van with these three (3) fuses pulled for almost two (2) years with no additional problems.

Solution to Solution to Problem B: With the fuse to my raditor fan pulled, I no longer had problems with my Brights coming on, and I had no problems in the winter when this happened. But as summer rolled around, I missed my raditor fan. So I mounted a new switch (next to my Starter button) that directly connected my raditor fan to the battery. Now, when I sit in stopped traffic in the summer, I can turn on my radiator fan to keep my engine cool.

Problem #3: I miss my Bright lights!!!!

After reviewing the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual, I can find no reason to believe that a faulty ignition switch would cause my headlight problems (although I candidly admit I do not understand why removing the raditor fan fuse solved them). Therefore, please do not respond by simply stating that ingition switch problems cause headlight problems.

If you can provide an explanation to this problem, please let me know. I think I will attempt to tackle this problem in the near future (although I have worked around it for two (2) years.

Thanks,