Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:03:58 -0600
From:         "Jon B. Kanas" <kanas@QUALITY.QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Fix Your Loose Outside Mirror
Comments: To: John McLean <jaymac@internetcds.com>

John,

In a real feat of engineering horror, the stud coming out of the base of the mirror is threaded on one end, and is shaped as a hexagon on the other. The hex end is a press-fit into the base of the mirror. The normal mode of failure is that when you tighten the nut, in pulls the hex end out of the base of the mirror rendering your attempts at adjustment futile. Eventually, the hex pulls totally free of the base, etc....

How you approach the fix will depend on whether or not you broke the stud, or it pulled out of the opening on the bottom of the mirror. If you broke the stud flush with the base of the mirror, you may want to drill directly into the stud. The hole you drill will be slightly larger than the stud, and the old stud should vanish in a shower of metal shavings during the drilling process. If there is a piece of your old stud available, see if you can grab it with Vise Grips or similar, and pull it out of the mirror base. This stud is pressed, not screwed, into the mirror base, so you want to pull, not twist to get it out. I would recommend that you try to get the old stud out because this gives you a very nice pilot hole for the drilling you will do in the next step.

The stud you need is 6mm, readily available at most better hardware stores or metric fastener places. You will also need a metric tap which is appropriate size and pitch for the stud. Again, this should be inexpensively available at better hardware stores. What you need to do is pull what's left of your stud out of the mirror base then drill a hole of the appropriate size to tap the hole with the correct threads (maybe drill it in place if the stud is difficult to get out??). Carefully tap the hole you have drilled for the new 6mm stud. Screw two nuts onto one end of the stud, and jam them tightly against each other. Put a couple of drops of Locktite on the other end of the stud, and using the 'top' nut, screw the freshly locktited end into the newly threaded hole. Separate the two nuts from each other after you get the stud tight, install the other springs, spacers and washers, and you will now have a mirror that can be easily adjusted, and will not fall apart or get loose.

I have fixed four Vanagon manual mirrors with this technique, and been successful in all attempts. If you have any further questions, give me a call or email at your convenience. This is a simple fix, you should try it before going after a used mirror, since the one you buy will probably fail in the same way in the not-too-distant future.

Regards, Jon Kanas