Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:40:07 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bottom end reassembly?
Comments: To: Sean Garrett <seangar@hotmail.com>

Sean-

All in all, it sounds like you are on the right track. Here are some other thoughts.

The "bottom end" in my book is the crank and rods only, it sounds like you are talking about the short-block as well. I'll go on that assumption. Since my experience is all type 4 all be talking about assembly for a Sans Eau motor.

1. Clean EVERYTHING to do with assembly well before assembling. Put each batch of clean parts in separate ziplock baggies (all head bolts in one, all rod nuts in another, etc.) 2. Buy a set of tyvek coveralls, and a do-rag for your hair. Even if you have short hair, WEAR A DO RAG during assembly to keep your nappy-strands from drifting into your motor. 3. I would assemble the Bottom-End (the crank and rods) in the kitchen or other CLEAN area, away from dust and wind. Once the bearings are sealed up, the prospect of dirt getting in is lessened. 4. I usually keep two cans of "Brakleen" on hand during assembly, and a sack of clean, lint-free rags. As each part goes on to the assembly, I clean it one last time with Brakleen, coat with assembly lube, and torque to spec. 5. Don't use any silicone goo sealant on the case halves. There is an aviation-motor product called High Tach that is best for sealing case halves. Small container will last you for three or four rebuilds. Use some on the washers for the head bolds and the six BIG case half bolts. 6. Have fun.

Keep in mind that dirt is your enemy. Also keep in mind that people have put reliable VW motors together under far worse conditions than your carport. Keep things as clean as you can, follow the Bentley (or Haynes) and have a ball.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 tollfree

"I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! -Wonka

-----Original Message----- From: Sean Garrett [SMTP:seangar@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 5:12 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM Subject: Bottom end reassembly?

I am getting ready to reassemble my bottom end. Everything has checked out great and been balanced at my local shop. I will not have the time to re-assemble the entire bottom end at once, therefore I could use some advice. #1 I will 1st clean all bolts and dry fit case together. Case and other parts have already been cleaned.

#2 Then I will position case (1/2 of case) sideways and grease the camshaft and crankshaft bearings and place the cam and crank in place (proper timing alignment observed with marks on gears).

#3 Apply thin bead of seal on case and place other half of case on. Apply pressure and put all bolts into case and start to tighten. Check to make sure no binding is occuring in the crankshaft/camshaft turning.

#4 Torque all bolts to specs following Bently order of tightening.

#5 If I have to quit during any stage I will seal the entire unit in a garbage bag to keep out dirt/dust.

Will/could I encounter problems after I put down the sealer and try to fit everything together? If yes then what might I do to avoid possible problems?

I will try to keep all dirt out of case/bearings etc... but I have to do this in my carport so how much dust is permissible and what might the effects be? Will most of the dirt and bearing grease (newly applied) be washed out with the 1st oil change? I plan on the 1st change at ~200 miles, and the second at 500 more miles, then normal 3,000 mile intervals.

Any other pointers are appreciated.