Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:09:49 -0700
From:         s_j_wacker@JUNO.COM
Subject:      86 Syncro dies again

Howdy folks. Once again my 86 Syncro died at the same intersection, same time it did a few months ago. I left the house at 4:30 this morning and got to an intersection about a half mile away. When I downshifted into third to make the turn, the engine died. I coasted thru and up onto the curb to wait for the tow truck. Last time it died as I waited for the light to change and I was able to get it to start and run really rough for a few seconds, then die again. Had to walk it thru the intersection with the starter motor. This time I had the light with me and coasted thru (this intersection is busy even at 4:30 A.M. and I didn't want to be stuck in the middle) I tried to start it, but it wouldn't even fire once. I called AAA and had them send out a flatbed. As I waited, I tried several times to start it, but nothing. Thirty minutes later the tow truck drops me and the Syncro off in my parking lot at home and as he pulls ahead to park the truck so he can help me push the van into a parking spot, I jump in my van, just for fun, and "bingo", it starts right up and I drive it into the spot.

Now last time this happened, I had it towed to my mechanic and when I returned that afternoon, without the mechanic touching it, it started right up, but after idling for a few minutes it started to run very rough and I had to feather the gas to keep it running. So we figured it was the Temperature II sensor and changed that (at least he said he did, I didn't check it) and it's been running pretty good since.

So, this is how I sees it, understand I don't understand how all this works, the van runs fine until it warms up enough to pass from the cold phase to the warm phase and when this pass off occurs the "brain" doesn't pick up in time and the engine dies. If I had just been able to keep running without letting off the gas and shifting gears I would probably never notice the problem.

Anybody have any ideas on how to proceed? I haven't started it this evening yet, but soon I will take it out for a ride.

Steve & Jo Ann Wacker San Marcos, Ca. 90 Carat 86 Syncro x2 86 Audi 5k Quattro