Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:15:18 -0700
From:         Zoltan Kuthy <zol@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine flush,
Comments: To: Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>

I used to go to a place where they hooked up two pipes to my drain on the bottom and they washed it out with oil while the engine was running, showing the cleanliness through a glass and yu could see it as it got cleaner. The machine was old, and it was in South Africa. My engine looked brand new when I opened it for reconditioning. Only done the head and put it back as it was and used it for ever. It was a MBenz but I think any car today is high quality and will last very long time with that extra care. Some like to by an other one every now and than so it is not a priority. I can buy a quart of solvent kind of oil that is used specifically for flushing engines in my auto supply chain store. There has to be something of the same at your place too. You would just add to your old oil, run it for some time and let all out. But. Once I spoke to a garage owner and he said that he will not do the same again bcause once after he did one of these flushes one of the oiling holes got plugged up with a dislodged dirt and he had to redo the whole engine. He explained that the block is designed in such a way that there are corners and cavities and dirt will stay in those places and deposit there. And really it is not necessary to do more than change the oil often enough for the kind of circumstances you have. Dusty roads, overheated engine, hard driving, low oil levels, inferior oil filter, inferior oil, blow by, and whatever you can think of... I personally beleve in the super filter that will take out impurities to the microns of a millimeter and the oil stays new and you only have to add oil ever. Viscosity will not change if there is no dirt in the oil. But you still have to change your cartridge in the unit, which is all you ever do other than adding oil to top up. These things are used where there has to be a long life engine to save costs. Like those big trucks. You can imagine what it can cost to redo one of those. If one can avoid two or three of those major repaires the saving is really big money. Not to mention the cost of getting rid of the old oil and the hassle of letting it out in the first place. On the Vanagon it probably cost about $350 to add one on. I am currently using one that I brought from South Africa and it fits in the filter's place. It looks the same as the filter except this is a body which contains a cartridge that you will change. I received all kinds of results of all kinds of tests of oils after filtering, done by the goverment's agency of standards and was very impressed with it. It is one of those thousands of things that would cost a fortune to advertise so nobody knows about it. That's enough for now... Zoltan