Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:21:04 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions on clutch kit install, 87 Wolfy

> I am installing a new clutch kit for my 87 Wolfsburg. I notice that the > busdepot I believe has a LUK Heavy duty kit for 149.99 and a SACHS for > 119.99, do I really need to get the LUK for 30.00 more ??

I brought in the LUK kits because of the Sachs kits' reputation (deserved or not) of being prone to chatter under some circumstances. Reponse to the LUK kit has so far been exceptional. Not everyone has experienced any chatter with the Sachs kits, and many people have suggested that when it occurred, it was due to other factors such as bad engine mounts or an uneven flywheel. But for what it's worth, so far I have not had a single complaint of chatter with the LUK kits.

You also have a third option, starting next week when my latest container from Europe arrives. As has been mentioned on this list, VW offered an entirely different clutch kit from 1989-1991. This kit has been erroneously referred to on the list as a Syncro clutch kit, but in fact it was used on all mid-'89 and later vans, Syncro or not. As I understand it, the main purpose of the redesign was to slightly reduce clutch pedal travel, and it also had a somewhat heavier duty construction. This kit has not been offered in the U.S. by either Sachs or Luk for quite some time; both manufacturers' catalogs now supercede it to the standard kits that I already sell. But I have 25 of them coming directly from Luk in Germany, where they are (or were) still available. The price is $199.95. They will fit all Vanagons, and are probably the best (albeit most expensive) option for a Vanagon. I may not be able to get more when they are gone (at least at an affordable price), as Luk in Germany is currently shipping remanufactured ones instead of the new ones that I got from them this time around.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com