Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:50:16 -0700
From:         Jeanne Maly <jmmaly@JORDANDREWS.COM>
Subject:      Fw: Car Top Case
Comments: To: Caravana <caravana@topica.com>

This is the latest on my attempt to find secure rooftop storage. This is looking very good. As for the dimensions, I believe the bottom of the case is smaller than the middle so it will probably fit into the luggage rack very snugly across the back with approximately 5 inchs of luggage rack remaining across the front (a good place to stash my folding chairs). The base will be 3.5" deep which is precisely the depth of the luggage rack and the top will protrude only 4" over the luggage rack. I think this would be aerodynamically insignificant.

I intend to have 2 padlock hasps on it with D-rings on both ends and a handle on the front. Do you guys think it should have 2 handles? My plan was to bolt it into the roofrack but another alternative would be to padlock the ends to the luggage rack tiedowns using the D-rings. That way you wouldn't have to drill holes in anything and the case would be watertight.

If anyone is interested in this as a group purchase, as he says, we can get an additional discount. Please pmail me. When I figure out how many want them, I'll get the final price and post it. I think that we can have them shipped to different locations but I would probably need to get the money and pay for them all at one time.

Jeanne

----- Original Message ----- From: Kirk Plehn To: jmmaly@jordandrews.com Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 4:55 PM Subject: Re: Car Top Case

Hi Jeanne the out side dimension is less than 47" if we do not put any handles on the ends of the case.We can give you a group discount if you order all at one time. Let me know what you would like as options , D-ring to hold down the case ?, Hasp to put a paddle lock ? Extra handle to carry ? Regards Kirk Plehn -----Original Message----- From: Jeanne M. Maly <jmmaly@jordandrews.com> To: 'Kirk Plehn' <Kplehn@caseclub.com> Date: Friday, April 21, 2000 1:34 PM Subject: RE: Car Top Case

One more question about dimensions: The outside length is really important here. If the inside is 46", the outside is 47", correct? I think this is going to be a close fit. I'm a subscriber to the vanagon.com mail list, which has thousands of subscribers, and I believe that there will be quite a few people interested in buying this box to use as lockable storage on top of the VW Westfalia camper. How would we go about dealing with a group purchase? Or is there any advantage in doing so? The possible purchasers are scattered all over the country - all over the world actually. Would we qualify for a "group" discount if we had these shipped to different locations? Would your company want one of us to deal with the financial aspect or could we just order individually? Would it be a good thing to have a list member who is a retailer (of anything) handle this for us so as to purchase wholesale? Jeanne -----Original Message----- From: Kirk Plehn [mailto:Kplehn@caseclub.com] Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 12:43 PM To: Jeanne M. Maly Subject: Re: Car Top Case

Yes the price would be the same as long the overall size is no bigger than 7". Regards Kirk Plehn -----Original Message----- From: Jeanne M. Maly <jmmaly@jordandrews.com> To: 'Kirk Plehn' <Kplehn@caseclub.com> Date: Friday, April 21, 2000 11:53 AM Subject: RE: Car Top Case

One other question, Kirk, from the specs on the website I see that these cases can be up to 7" total in height and that I could specify x for the base and y for the lid. Would the price be the same? Jeanne -----Original Message----- From: Kirk Plehn [mailto:Kplehn@caseclub.com] Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 11:26 AM To: Jeanne M. Maly Subject: Car Top Case

Hi Jeanne , the information you requested is as follows: 1) Pelican 1700 { inside dimension of 36x13.5x5 } , your price is $166.67with tilt wheels and flip-out handle & with foam included http://www.caseclub.com/prot_large.htm 2) ASP 4613-5 { inside dimension of 46x13x5 }, your price is $150.73 empty http://www.caseclub.com/economy.htm 3) PE4613-5 { inside dimension of 46x13x5 }, your price is $220.76 empty http://www.caseclub.com/medium.htm Thanks for the inquiry Kirk Plehn sales@caseclub.com

[text/html]