Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:47:33 -0700
From:         Steve Sullivan <Steve@NORTHWESTWATCH.ORG>
Subject:      Fridge exhaust

Finally got my fridge running on propane!! Should there be any smell at all inside the van when it's running? Anyone had this problem?

As it runs I get this smell. It's not propane, it doesn't smell like exhaust (but I've never used propane-powered things before, so who knows), it doesn't smell like the stove does when it's running, it doesn't smell like smoke. It smells like, well . . . musty. That's the best I can do. Like dust bunnies burning. Now I suspect this fridge has never been lit in it's 16 years, and when I pulled the fridge I didn't vacumn or clean out the tubes with anything. Could I just be burning up cobwebs? The inside of the combustion chamber was clean, so I can't imagine there is that much in the exhaust tube. Or could it be dirt in the insulation surrounding the exhaust tube?

I gave the exhaust tube a quick look-over when it was out and didn't see any holes or corrosion of any kind. As far as I can tell, the tube is installed out the side of the van correctly. I can't imagine what would suck exhaust fumes back in the van from the outside. I may pull the vent flue and re-seal around the exhaust pipe outlet and the hole in the side of the van to make sure.

I just want to make sure I'm not asphyxiating myself, any advice appreciated, other than pulling the fridge again! I'm out of time . . .

Steve Gotta get going north to Alaska