Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:57:59 -0400
From:         Tom and Dana Cates <dcates1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: White Smoke
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>

You are WRONG.

AVP did the rebuild on my 2.0 Aircooled.

I did extensive research before I chose AVP based soley on their reputation.

After I installed my engine, I had the opportunity to visit their facility. Leonard is the only man there that does final engine assembly. His wife Erin handles the phone and preps for assembly. He has one other young man who does cores and machining.

I have had no problems with my engine, except by my own ineptitude (first time to swap an engine). It has survived all of my mistakes and seems to drive better every day.

See attached.

Tom

I ordered an AVP engine in October of last year and installed it in November. I now have 3,200 miles on it without any AVP related difficulties. It still does not run perfectly, but through trial and error and the technical assistance (and entertainment!) of the list I truly believe that I will achieve mastery over my vehicle, an 83 air-cooled Westfalia, "Hammurabi."

I was in Sacramento the last part of last week and on behalf of myself and the list I paid AVP a visit, unannounced.

They are not easy to find, as the listed address in the phone book does not correspond to the actual physical location of the business. I drove earnestly up and down the boulevard in vain several times before I intuited that the numbers go down, then up again to the place where they are not. But, at the Harley shop at the listed address they knew where the shop is located and the gentleman behind the counter there scurried out, gave me directions and had me out of the shop before the resident Hells Angels (Sacramento, you know) could get their dander up sufficiently to kick my a**. I really did not want to hang out there anyway.

I drove up the shop, big sign AVP International, and went inside. Leonard greeted me and gave me a kindly smile. The waiting area is a stand up space of approx 8 square feet. The reception (Office) area is where he and only he apparently assembles engines. We talked for a while, and he recalled that I had called in need of a specific piece of engine tin. He said, 'This is the good part of owning your own business, come with me.' He locked the door and we mounted up in his old Dodge 4WD Diesel Simon and Simon Truck and took off for his Private Junkyard. We poked around there for about twenty minutes looking unsuccessfully for the piece that I needed. We came back to the shop and he showed me around the entire operation.

AVP is smaller in scope than I might have anticipated, but I was happily surprised. It is a true cottage operation run by a fellow who knows what he is doing, and does it himself. He had a young assistant there that I did not have the opportunity to speak to, but appeared to be a very intelligent young man. The young assistant does all of the prep work, limited machine work, and core evaluation. Erin collates all of the pieces of the engines, and Leonard does the final assembly. I did not witness the final steps of engine dyno testing at the facility, so this must be performed at another location. It was apparent that my specific engine had been tested, so I feel confident that this must be the case. I did not ask.

I believe, after visiting his shop that he is a competent rebuilder and worthy of the money I spent on my engine.

Tom Cates 83 Air-cooled, Air-Conditioned, Automatic Westfalia "Hammurabi"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart MacMillan" <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 10:56 AM Subject: Re: White Smoke