Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Apr 2000 21:21:53 -0700
From:         dave <dave@251.ORG>
Subject:      Question on replacing shocks on 87 2WD

I finally got around to getting a new set of shocks for my 87 GL (Non-syncro), I decided to go with a set of Bilstein HDs. I'll be installing them myself, having not done this before I looked up the procedure in the Bentley, it's there but not too detailed. I'm thinking this is so because the procedure isn't that complex.

It is my understanding, and from past experience, that the rear springs will not be under tension, but the front's will be, but will not have to be removed to swap the shocks. So I'm planning on swapping shocks by doing the following:

Front: 1. Lift wheel off ground, then lower so it is just touching the ground. 2. Remove the bolt at the bottom of the shock in the control arm. 3. Then remove top (body) nut. 4. Install new shock, bolt top (body) then bottom (control arm).

Question: Will there be a problem removing the bottom bolt, i.e. will there be any compression in the shock that will it difficult to pull the bolt? Bentley says to "lower vehicle onto wheels" when pulling this bolt, any suggestions?

Rear: 1. Lift wheel off ground. 2. Remove lower bolt (trailing arm) 3. Remove upper bolt/nut. 4. Replace shock, verify spring it seated properly, top nut/bolt then bottom bolt.

Also is there any other PM I should consider during this procedure? Any other tips/suggestions?

BTW the current shocks are OE Boge, from the dealer, installed 03/09/92 at 86,378 miles at a cost of $459.93 installed (I found the original receipt). The van currently has 155,500 miles. Eight years and 70k miles later the Boge's seem to work reasonably well, but they are feeling a little soft. The Bilstein HDs were about $315.

I am also going to be video taping a stop (From 50 mph or so, something relatively fast) with the old shocks and then with the new, the nose dive is fairly excessive right now, we'll see if the Bilsteins improve this.

Thanks,

Dave www.251.org