Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:18:37 EDT
From:         Kapitan Ray Nemo <Volksiebus@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tire Carriers Again

Answering Mark Drillock's post

> Gee, where is YOUR support for THIS? How do you know there were no > apparent cooling problems? No steam gushing as you went by?

Right. Nothing apparent. Seriously, I live in West by Poverty Virginia and these are on lots of the old iron. Had one on an old ambulance I used to

drive. No cooling problems. Still see the kits being sold in camper catalogs and JC Whipme. Somebody's buying them. Are they frying there engines? I dunno.

I wasn't challenging you personally or suggesting that you cannot voice an opinion until you've completed scientific research. (Actually, I'm not even sure you voiced that original opinion.) I just figured it had been tried by someone on this huge list. As I said, I broached this topic earlier and received no answers.

> A friend who accompanied me to Baja with one of these V8 setups stopped

> along the way to remove his front spare on a hot day. He said it made a

> big difference but he had a big camper shell and was towing a trailer. >

Exactly the kind of anecdote (even though it's non-vanagon) I wanted to hear.

You have to admit,though, towing in the Baja is pretty extreme.

I cut out the engine differences comments. I agree there are fundamental

differences, but I'm not sure they're relevant. Someone made a fairly strong argument that the vanagon cooling system is not weak. I dunno.

Aerodynamically, I'm not sure how much airflow disturbance we're talking about here, assuming a tire that's mounted on the bumper (or on a contraption mounted to the bumper as opposed to right on the nose like my old loaf). I would think that a tire mounted a foot or two out front would actually create a vacuum behind it at speed and not impede the airflow when idling (at least when the fan isn't on). 'Course, I was a liberal arts major.

I'll probably eventually get around to trying this, but there's the CV's and front motor mount to do first. And those darn lifters. And......

der Kapitan IXOYE Huntington, Westy Virginia Recovering Sniveling Technophobe Lurker and Co-inventor of the Internet

____________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.