Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Apr 2000 14:45:12 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Porsche G50 trans; MSDS address?

MSDS used to make a kit to fit the G50 into a Vanagon, but I thought this was no longer on offer. Does anyone have an e-mail address for Marty at MSDS?

The 915 is not as strong as the G50, is prone to synchro and bearing wear and has a sloppy shift-action as well as illogical gate with first behind reverse. Also I can fond no information on fitting 915s to T3s, and this may well cost me more overall in the long run than a G50. I am told, by a German with a G50 & VR6 in his T3, that to fit a G50 you need only change the front mount and fit an adaptor flywheel. He also used the Porsche floorshift and rod. It seems the driveshafts etc all fit as standard.

The G50 is very strong, does not normally wear or break, has a good shift with gears where they belong! I have located one for $1800US at a reputable dealer; also they go for about $1500 in Germany.

Andrew

Andrew Grebneff mollusc nut 84 Caravelle Geology Department, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz