Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:27:55 -0700
From:         Nils Huebner <nilsh@EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Backing Up Is hard To Do"
Comments: cc: Susan Bernavich <susanb@WIZZARDS.NET>

I, too, use the rear wheels as a guide. But the biggest help has been putting a fresnel lens in the rear window. I got mine at an RV shop and it makes a world of difference. My wife wouldn't try to park the thing before I got the lens.

N i l s H u e b n e r

( 4 2 5 ) 7 0 3 - 1 3 4 6 n i l s h @ m i c r o s o f t . c o m

-----Original Message----- From: Susan Bernavich [mailto:susanb@WIZZARDS.NET] Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 10:16 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: "Backing Up Is hard To Do"

ok...I was just backing up tonight (to get Harold packed for a great wetwesties outing) and I thought to myself.....geeze there has got to be a trick to this...thanx for the information tony...will try it next time.....susanb

Tony Peet wrote:

> Howdy There VanAGoneers! > > Well, you learn something new everyday. > > I've had my '91 Syncro Vanagon for almost a year now, and I've spent a not > insignificant amount of time trying to figure out how to back up 'well' > (defined as safely, without hitting that tree on the right rear, and at a > respectable pace;-)) I've adjusted the mirrors and gotten out of the van > countless times to try to 'learn' a good way to accurately gauge "how much > room I've got left before I hit the wall/car/parking space limiter/fence/kid > etc."..and nothing has REALLY been a dependable measure....until NOW: > > I've found that with not too much leaning I can see the LOWER BACK EDGE OF > EITHER THE RIGHT OR LEFT REAR TIRE in the bottom part of the right or left > mirror. When I just focus on THAT BACK EDGE, and use IT as a reference > point to the nearest object, I get an extremely accurate read as to where > the rear bumper is etc and can really nail the distance with precision. > > Using any other reference point along the sides of the van just has not > worked for me ......the distances get really distorted. > > And yes, if you must ask, this HAS changed my life. > > I would be curious to know if anyone else uses this or any other trick too > or what your experience is if you give it a try. > > Happy Trails..... > > Tony > '91 Syncro Westy ('teepee') > Pacific Grove, CA > ________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

[text/html]