Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:26:54 -0700
From:         Douglas Prescott <vwwesty84@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Help locating coolant part - 84 Westy

You know how one thing just leads to another...?

I'll use front to describe the front of the van, left and right as if sitting in the driver's seat. There is a plastic hose connection (cooling system)at the front left top of the engine compartment. It connects the hoses to and from the radiator to those to and from the engine. Herr Bentley (19.9) does not show this part, and seems to indicate that the hoses to and from the radiator are single pieces in this area. Indeed they are not. The part I seek connects these hoses, as previously stated, and is also home to what I have to reckon is the "Bleeder connection valve," along with a nipple that a small diameter coolant hose connects to the metal heater core return mounted above the engine. It is at this nipple that I now have a leak. It seems the DPO, or perhaps my FORMER mechanic (later!) broke this nipple and repaired it with some grey plastic-looking goop. I must have bumped it as I cleaned the engine this weekend after repairing the OTHER coolant leak (coolant sensor gasket)

Anyone out there know what I'm talking about, and if so have a part #?

Ken, your diagram lists hoses only, and Ron - the link to the appropriate collant page seems to be dead/malfunctioning, so I can't tell if you have the part...

Doug Prescott 84 Westy, formerly "Raymond," now "The Piddler" 68 Beetle, also causing me fits. But that's for another group. 98 Passat, a dream to drive. No wait, I dream about driving it. Lisa gets it, I drive whatever's running from what's left. Or walk. I'll be walking now.