Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:44:03 -0400
From:         William Dummitt <williamd@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thinking Alaska trip

Anytime from May to September is a fine time to visit Alaska. I'm partial to fall- the tourists start to disappear, the weather is still fine, and the fall colors on the tundra are spectacular. A midsummer departure and a September return would be just about perfect. I made the trip up and back in a month, using the ferry to save a few days, but recommend I'd taking at least six or eight weeks if possible.

Denali National Park is my favorite place, not only in Alaska but in the whole world. To enjoy it, take some time to get off the park buses and hike away from the road. Camp in some of the more remote campsites. I also highly recommend Valdez and Seward. There are boat trips to see the

marine life in the Valdez and Seward areas that are out of this world. I

have a website about my favorite places in the National Park system at www.geocities.com/wdummitt. It has writeups on Denali and Kenai Fijords parks- these places should be part of any Alaska trip. I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of time in the Alaska cities such as Fairbanks or Anchorage- outdoors is what Alaska is about. If your time and finances permit, take a fly-in to a remote place such as Lake Clark or Katmai. Most of Alaska is not accessible by road and you should see some of the remote

parts of it if you have a chance.

The trip up can and should be as enjoyable as the time spent in Alaska.

You can route your trip to include many spectacular places such as Jasper, Banff, and Kluane parks in Canada. I would recommend more remote and rough Cassiar Highway rather than the Alaska Highway- much more scenic and less

traveled. The Alaska highway actually is not terribly scenic. Regardless of which route you take, the roads will have many sections under construction. Be prepared for delays and make sure you have tools to do minor repairs on your van. I have a writeup on my trip from last year which should be in the vanagon list archives- I'll pmail you a copy. I'll

be in Alaska again this July, although unfortunately not by Westy. For anyone wanting to visit the state but lacking the time to go by Westy, TWA has some really good airfares available- I bought round trip tickets for $500.

Bill St. Louis, MO