Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Apr 2000 23:51:03 -0500
From:         "Dr. No" <scottnorville@POL.NET>
Subject:      trip report and AVP engine review

We swapped the dead 1.9l engine in CoWesty for a 2.1l from AVP last month, with the help of Tim's German Autos in Fort Worth (good work!) No trouble with the initional run-in except a leaky coolant pipe, easily fixed. After two good local trips, to Abilene, and to Volkslennium in Belton we dicided we were ready for the big one.

Fort Worth to Carlsbad, NM: nice driving, except for the usual gusty crosswinds. Nice to be able to cruise over 60. In fact, excluding the wind, it was hard to keep the needle from wandering up to 75. Temps stayed right where we want them, and it was kinda fun to watch the new/old tachometer added from an '86 Vanagon. Saw the caverns, didn't get the t-shirt.

Carlsbad to the Grand Canyon: now with a 20-30knot headwind. We also had the climbing-to-altitude general power-loss we had with the old engine, and a few occasions of the momentary near-complete power-loss we thought was related only to cold. This lasted all the first day but was gone the next.

Grand Canyon: great stay; but time to go and the engine won't start. Crank and crank and crank (with two batteries, you can crank a long time) and no spark. Checked the coil, distributor (ouch!), fuel pump, injectors, everything in the engine room seems to work. Trace the wires, unhook the ignition wires from the switch and hook them back up and it starts right up. Wierd. This is the only vehicular trouble of the whole trip.

To the Monterey coast via Las Vegas: more uneventful driving. One night at Bellagio balances all the cheap camping nights, but well worth it. We did the Star Trek Experience and my son remaned the bus the Voyager Cow. In Mojave a busload of Japanese tourists gave us the paperrazi treatment.

Monterey to home, via Yosemite: fun windy roads. All the cars pass us, but we pass all the big trucks. Cool. This time we don't loose power with altitude. Why?

Overall we averaged 17mpg, 18-20 at >6000ft, 14-16 with a headwind. Great drivability on the new AVP engine, kudos to them and Tim's.

Scott '74 Thing '83.5 CoWesty '99 NB