Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:37:44 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 Diesel won't start
Comments: To: Bill Nienhuis <billn@BILLN.COM>

1. Charge the battery 2. Verify that glow plugs are heating when activated. They should be noticeably warm to the touch when cycled 2-3 times. 3. Verfiy that fuel is getting to the injectors. Loosen one or more fuel pipes at the injector. Fuel should be pumping out when the engine is cranked. 4. Verify injector pump timing per Bentley.

The van should start without any movement of the accelerator pedal. Using the pedal may PREVENT it from starting. "Pumping" of the pedal only has an effect on carbureted gasoline vehicles. Usually it floods the cylinders with fuel. If there is any doubt about whether the cold start mechanism is needed, use it. It will not prevent a properly timed engine from starting in warm weather. Given the description of your problem, I suspect injector pump timing. I believe that the timing belt stretches as it wears and causes the timing to shift. The beauty of the diesel is the simplicity. Heat + fuel + timing = combustion.

Mike Snow Camp Pendleton, California 1982 Westfalia 1.6TD 1983 ASI 1.6D