Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Apr 2000 01:30:12 EDT
From:         Kevin Dawson <Calwolfie@AOL.COM>
Subject:      How to reinstall knob/shaft into arm.

Hi All, Recently I've had to figure out how to reinstall the adjusting knob/shaft into the arm of the front seat in a 87' Westy. In taking the arm apart I determined the best thing to do is avoid the problem in the first place as the knob/shaft is designed to not be withdrawn from the arm without cutting the foam back and pinching two plastic retaining arms together. My Dad's was missing when he bought his van and I think the PO had forced it out thinking that this would remove the arm from the seat. This is a mistake as most of you know as the arm is attached to the seat by large "roll pin". Regardless, I was able to put it back together and did take pictures (which I'm sorry but are are still undeveloped) for a "how to." You will need a hot glue gun, a staple gun, a Phillips screw driver, a 6" pairing knife, and approx. 30 min-1 hour of time.

-Remove hard plastic trim held in place by two Phillips screws. -Remove staples holding fabric cover to wooden part of arm. -Carefully peal off fabric cover (now is a good time to wash). -You will now see that the arm has a foam cover that was molded around it. Under this foam is a black plastic box that contains the parts we need to get to. It is attached by four Phillips screws from the top side of the arm through the wood and into the box. You will need to "fillet" the foam cover back but not completely off. This will aid later in reassembly. First, lay arm on side. Using the bottom side of the box as a guide, slice the foam away from the bottom of the box going from its front edge to its back edge. Turn arm to where the top side is down, pull the cut flap up to where you can now cut down the back end of the box to just where the wood deck is. Now cut along each side of the box down to where the wood deck is. Again, do not cut the foam off. The whole black plastic box should be exposed now. Turn arm onto the side where you can slice the foam from the wood deck so as to expose the four screws holding the box to the deck. Cut the foam starting from the back of the arm to the front, cut about 6," use the wood as a guide but be mindful that the screw do stick up, so cut around them. Again, do not cut the foam off, just far enough to expose the four screw heads. -Remove the four screws. The box should now come loose. On the side that goes against the wood deck it is open but covered with tape. Peel back the tape. -Inside the box you should find a loose square nut and a funny looking wire spring thing (this is an anti-rattle spring). -Put the Square nut into the slot near the back of the box, this is what the knob/shaft threads into and then pushes on the side end of a "roll pin" to raise or lower the arm. The trick here is to use hot glue to "tack" the nut into place. Next you will need to "tack" the anti-rattle spring into place. It needs to go about half way from where the nut is and where the two little plastic arms are (which are molded as part of the box and snap into the narrower part of the shaft when it is in place to keep it from being withdrawn). The legs of the spring go into the bottom of the box, while the cross bar with the dip in it should end up about 1/2" above the bottom. Hot glue it in. The spring is supposed to push up from the bottom of the box against the side of the shaft so as to keep the shaft from rattling. -Trial fit knob/shaft so you understand how it all works together. You will be installing the knob/shaft last! So you want to practice now on how to insert and line up the shaft across the spring and into the nut. The shaft will need to be inserted at an angle, in far enough to be past the top of the spring and then brought down straight (depressing the spring) to go into the nut. As the shaft contacts the spring you start turning the shaft as if you are threading into the nut. This will keep you from dislodging the spring as you are moving the shaft toward and into the nut. When you feel confident, set the shaft aside as it goes in last. Screw the box back onto the wood deck. Use small beads of hot glue to tack foam back into place. A small amount of glue should do. As you didn't cut the foam completely away it will almost self align itself as you reassemble. Slide the fabric cover back on and staple in place. Reattach the hard plastic trim. Now for the moment of truth. As you had practiced, insert knob/shaft. With a little luck you should be done! I wish I could attach a picture or drawing but I'm not there yet.

Thanks again to Joel Walker of the list for suppling a new knob/shaft that was missing!

Hope this info helps someone else.

Cheers, Kevin Dawson 87' Wolfie 1/2 Camper

Dad has a 87' Full Camper