Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 2000 08:40:48 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Luggage Rack Seal
Comments: To: "ThomasD. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET>

> I've obtained from a List Vendor, a replacement seal for the luggage > rack. The seal is unlike the OEM item in that the replacement has the > configuration of the additional attached "tubing" like the replacement > seal of the Pop-Top, rather than the simple "U" of the original luggage > rack seal. It appears that the new seal may seal too perfectly, and not > allow drainage of accumulated water from below the luggage rack.

You are right that potentially this may impede rainwater drainage, since is in fact a seal rather than a trim piece as originally intended. The only reason to use a seal with a bulb on a luggage rack is if your rack has loosened over the years and is suffering from wind whistle with a non-bulbed seal - and even then you are better off tightening the rack or lowering the seal slightly than using a bulbed seal. The reason that many vendors sell luggage rack seals with bulbs like that is that they are actually selling you a length of poptop seal, cut shorter. This allows them to stock only one seal and cut it into two different lengths (for poptop or luggage rack use) rather than stocking two different seals. Some go even further by selling the identical seal in place of the "flat" seal between luggage rack and poptop, even though it is clearly incorrect for the application. I sell three different seals for the three different applications, as originally intended.

Now that you already have the seal, however, there is probably no need to return it. You should be able to remove the bulb with an exacto knife prior to installation.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW