Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 May 2000 14:01:39 -0400
From:         Richard C Welsh <welshcu@PB.COM>
Subject:      A rod bender?

So lets say my fuel pressure regualtor burst its internals and opened the way for fuel, under pump pressure, to fill the intake, heads, and eventually cylinders. Lets also say that in the process of troubleshooting the crisis I cranked the engine over a few times too many, heard things like "...crank....crank...clunk....", "...crank....crank...clunk...." while, unbeknowst to me, liquid fuel was being compressed in the cylinders. Is it a safe bet that I now have some bent rods? Hopefully I'll have things back together thursday, so what might i listen for? do bent rods sound "bent?" Might things run for a while, get out of balance, and then eventually let loose at random somewhere far far from home?

BTW, i did something really stupid last night and I'm glad i didn't burn my face off: I was doing a compression test with the plugs and injectors pulled. (i didn't yet realize the fuel pressure regualtor was letting gas into the intake tubes). after cranking the first cylinder i didn't see any reading on the gauge. (hadn't been used lately, maybe the needle was stuck?) with my drop light in hand i depressed the pressure relief button on the gauge head. I had the injectors pulled and un plugged, so no fuel could be compressed in the gauge, right? wrong! I hit the button and shot myself in the face with a stream of half vaporized/half liquid fuel! had anything sparked or had the hot lightbulb been in the spray path, I'd be Mr. Blister in the head wrap right now. Yikes. It was one of those stupid, scare the hell out you because you where out there late and ovelooking things kind of scares.

-Curt -'87 wolfie "Damnagon"